Chicago Jazz Venue Question

Johnny E

I don't think either is particularly good, but the Viaduct is probably the better of the two.

Do either have a built in crowd?

I've never been to either, so it is hard to tell. Reggie's Music Joint appears to be livelier, but you are playing over people eating (and it is still rock oriented). The Viaduct is considerably harder to find, but maybe it fills up. At least people would be coming for the music. I know the Empty Bottle is even more off the beaten path, but it has a very devoted crowd.

They may not be options, but Andy's, the New Checkerboard Lounge or The Hideout would be better. Possibly Schubas (not that they book "jazz" though).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think either is particularly good, but the Viaduct is probably the better of the two.

Do either have a built in crowd?

I've never been to either, so it is hard to tell. Reggie's Music Joint appears to be livelier, but you are playing over people eating (and it is still rock oriented). The Viaduct is considerably harder to find, but maybe it fills up. At least people would be coming for the music. I know the Empty Bottle is even more off the beaten path, but it has a very devoted crowd.

They may not be options, but Andy's, the New Checkerboard Lounge or The Hideout would be better. Possibly Schubas (not that they book "jazz" though).

Reggie's is a rock venue and there is no built-in crowd that I am aware of for the Viaduct. Your band would be best for what ejp says - Hideout for sure. What about The Hungry Brain? The Brain is around the corner from the Viaduct.

Schuba's is likely a no go (though across the street from my office). Last thing I saw there jazz-related was Ken Vandermark as part of a Noise Pop thing in 2001. The Bottle doesn't do jazz anymore.