Rent parties, how common were these, and did they help?

Hardbopjazz

Quite common in Harlem, particularly in the 1920s. I remember reading in many places about the use of rent parties to collect money to pay for the rent. From what I recall, alcohol and some food would be provided along with the music.

The institution of the rent party is reflected in some recordings, including possibly the following:

House Rent Stomp - Virginia Liston - 1923

House Rent Ball - Fletcher Henderson and His Orchestra - 1924

House Rent Rag - Dixieland Jug Blowers - 1926

House Rent Stomp - Big Bill Broonzy - 1927

Rent Party Blues - Duke Ellington and His Orchestra as The Jungle Band (1929) and as the Ten Blackberries (1930)

House Rent Scuffle - Lil Johnson - 1929

Rent Party Blues - Johnny Hodges and His Orchestra -1939

House Rent Rag - Rufus and Ben Quillian - 1931

House Rent Party Day - Louis Prima and His New Orleans Gang - 1934

House Rent Party Day - Harlem Hot Shots (Wingy Manone) - 1935

Rent Party - Hal Singer

House Rent Party - Champion Jack Dupree, Babs Gonzales, Slim Gaillard (may not all be same tune)

Also, I suspect that a 1946 album set by Pete Johnson and others (the add an instrument session) was designed to simulated a housewarming (and perhaps a house rent) party. The version I have has the speaking parts edited out, so I can't confirm this. Does anyone have the 78 album set or the full version to verify whether it's intended to represent a rent party?

Rent parties, how common were these, and did they help?

I ask, because tonight at Smalls in NYC there will be one held for Harry Whitaker.

Site

Thanks for confirming that. I have the music without the spoken parts on a 2-fer that Savoy issued. I think the original 78 album as well as the first LP issue have the spoken parts as well.

I have a CD version of that Pete Johnson album with the speaking parts, and it is a rent party. Most of the speaking parts consist of welcoming the next musician who is joining the group for the next song.