Kenny Werner Quartet feat JOE LOVANO!!!!!

Just saw Kenny Werner's Trio (with Scott Colley and Antonio Sanchez) last night (second set) in Cambridge (Mass.). Highly recommended. They played mostly originals by Werner except for the last two selections. Here's the set list (with apologies for some which are likely phonetic approximations):

Freewheeling

Yago (?)

Sutta (?)

Fall From Grace

Balloons

Dolphin Dance

Hedwig's Theme

"Fall From Grace" was breathtaking -- a rather somber, requiem-like composition and performance.

It looks like the same group is playing this evening somewhere in New London, Connecticut.

Looking forward to this. First chance to catch Joe in concert. Tix are quite reasonable, $35 for non South Florida Jazz members. Not a bad seat in the house.

South Florida Jazz site

Two years ago Werner put out an album with Roseanna Vitro, Randy Brecker, James Carter, John Patitucci and others called Serve or Suffer, calling the band the Delirium Blues Project.

I continue to enjoy it. It reminds me of Blood, Sweat and Tears at their best, with a female vocalist.

I haven't seen anything by Werner since, and I would like to. Maybe lala or grooveshark have something.

Concert was a mixed bag as I'll explain, but very glad I went. Werner is an unusual player, consistently toying with time within a piece, but very ably supported in particular by the drummer, Ari Hoenig. Joe Lovano is a tremendous saxophonist, or as Lee Morgan once said of Trane, a "mahnnnnstahhh". Where the "mixed" comes in, is that not publicized in advance, but indeed mentioned in the program given out to the ticket-buying public as we walked into the concert hall, was the presence of Judi Silvano, who contributed her questionable vocal talent to quite a few numbers, at least one of which was her own composition, "Bougainvillea". NMCOT.

Again though, well worth attending.