fried dough

I'm just finishing Dan Simmons' The Fall Of Hyperion. One of the foodstuff the various far-future galaxy-jumping good guys/bad guys/good-AND-bad guys eat is something called fried dough.

Now assuming this meant deep fried dough, I started a mental list of how many kinds I knew of or had tasted. Got up to about eight or so, before I checked out wikipedia - and sure enough, there's handy list.

I suspect the likes of India's puris and papdams should more correctly be labelled batter, but what the hey.

Also, they haven't got those flat, crispy ribbons (I forget the name) under the Italy heading. Do canoli count? Deep fried but stuffed. They do put samosas on the list - also stuffed.

In fact, I suspect the Italian part of the list is minus a lot.

And as far as I'm concerned falafel are not batter, dough or fried dough. Maybe they're on the list because they're made of chick peas. Weird. Can't see it, myself.

Great list - I want to try them all.

Given the wide geographical and cultural spread of members, I'd love to hear experiences - good and bad - you've all had with ... Fried Dough.

And WTF is this all about? :eye:

o Fried Coke - A creation made in the summer of 2006 which has proven very popular in Texas. Batter is mixed with Coca-Cola syrup and fried, after which it is topped with more Coke syrup or whipped cream, a cherry, etc.

Asia

* Central Asia

o Boortsog

Chinese youtiao

* China - Chinese cuisine has several fried treats, such as the matuan, typically covered in sesame seeds.

o Chinese restaurants in the U.S. sometimes serve small fried pastries similar to doughnut holes.

o Youtiao are popular breakfast foods in Chinese culture. They are savory and oily in taste. The texture is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside with large cavernous holes.

o Ox-tongue pastry (牛脷酥) elliptical shaped dough that resembles an ox tongue. They are sweet in taste and the texture is chewy and fine.

o Shuangbaotai (双包胎) is a sweet fried dough food with cavernous holes in the food and a crisp outside. The are made by sticking two small pieces of dough together and frying them, causing them to separate slightly while still connected, thus resembling conjoined twins, for which the food is named.

o Jin deui is a hollow fried pastry made of glutinous rice flour that is coated with sesame seeds and filled with a sweet filling.

* South Asia

o Chakli (Murukku)

o Jalebi (Hindi: जलेबी, Urdu: جلیبی, Punjabi: ਜਲੇਬੀ) or Jilapi (Bengali: জিলাপী): deep-fried sweet batter with rose water and saffron

o Kichori: doughnuts filled with minced meat

o Namak pare

o Pakora (also called bhajji): deep-fried vegetable fritters in a gram flour batter

o Papadum (also called papad, papar, etc.): fried wafer made from a dough made of lentils (often urad dal) and spices. When fried as a dough or with sufficient moisture, it is called pappaṭam. When fried dry, it is called appalam.

o Paratha (also called parantha, porota, etc.): fried flat bread, often stuffed with vegetables, cheese, or ground meat

o Puri: puffed deep-fried bread, variations of which include the North Indian bhatoora (Hindi: भटूरा bhaṭūrā) and the Bengali luchi (Bengali: লুচি)

o Samosa (including variants such as mitha samosa, shingara, etc.): deep-fried filled pastries

o Vada (also called vara, bara, etc.): lentil cakes shaped into patties or donut shapes

Kaya balls.

* Japan

o Curry bread, a curry-filled bread, dipped in panko and deep fried. It is usually pre-packaged and sold in convenience stores and bakeries.

o Sata andagi, a sweet, ball-shaped snack, similar to the doughnut, native to the Okinawa Prefecture.

o Tenkasu

[edit] Europe

* Bulgaria

o Mеkitzi (Мекици)- similar to Funnel cake

o Ponichki (Понички)

o Pirozhki (Пирожки)

* France

American-style beignets with coffee.

o Beignet (and the pastry is also present in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA) - Sometimes described as a French doughnut but, as with other 'variants' of fried sweet pastry, the beignet typically has its own distinctive characteristics (shape and texture) which are sufficient in the minds of some of its devotees to object to Beignets being referred to as doughnuts.

o Bugnes

* Germany

o Berliner or Krapfen, the doughnut equivalents, don't have the typical ring shape - except for a variety in southern Germany where so called Auszogne are produced which have a ring shape but a skin in the middle - but instead are solid, usually filled with jam. (German doughnuts are sometimes called Berlin Doughnuts in the USA.)

* Greece

o Loukoumades - Somewhat like crisp doughnut holes, loukoumades (pronounced loo-koo-MA-thes) consist of deep-fried dough balls marinated in honey and cinnamon.

* Hungary

o Lángos

* Iceland

Icelandic Kleina

o Kleina (plural Kleinur)

o Laufabrauð

* Italy

o Chiacchiere and lattughe in Lombardy

o Cenci and Donzelle in Tuscany

o Frappe and Sfrappole in Emilia Romagna

o Struffoli - a dessert of Neapolitan origin

* Netherlands and Belgium

o Oliebollen / Smoutebollen- Referred to as Dutch Doughnuts (or occasionally as 'Dutch Donuts') which contain pieces of apple and/or dried fruit like raisins.

* Norway

o Smultring ("lard ring"), similar to a doughnut but smaller, without glacing or filling, and flavoured with cardamom.

o Berlinerbolle ("berliner bun"), same as the German berliner.

* Poland

o Chruściki (also known as faworki) - fried, crispy flat dough, sometimes twisted and sprinkled with confectioner's sugar.

o Pączki - springy doughnuts filled with jam

* Portugal -

o Malasada - a fried dough from Sao Miguel Island, Azores, Portugal which are also popular in Hawaii and in Cape Cod Massachusetts, where they are called "flippers."

* Scotland

o Bannock - a bread the same thickness as a scone. Native Americans and particularly Métis, in western Canada and the northern Great Plains in the United States, adopted bannock in their own cuisine over the 18th and 19th centuries.

* Spain -

o Churros

o Porras - Often served for breakfast, especially in Madrid).

* Sweden

o Rosette - ornate irons are dipped into batter and then dropped into hot oil. The pastry quickly separates from the iron , which is removed. The rosettes are then fried to a light brown, removed from the oil and sprinkled with powdered sugar.

* United Kingdom

o Fried bread - a staple of the traditional English Breakfast, Fried Bread is quarters of white bread fried in, traditionally, bacon dripping, and served on the plate with the rest of the breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, black pudding, beans and tomatoes

[edit] Middle East

* All of the Middle East

o Falafel

o Luqmat al-qadi (لقمة القاضي) (literally, judge's mouthful) a relative and etymological ancestor of the Greek Loukoumas. Also called sfingis (in Arabic) and lokma (Turkish, see below).

* Turkey

o Tulumba

o Lokma

* Israel (Jewish)

o Sufganiyah

[edit] Africa

* East Africa

o Mandazi is a fried bread (served with no glazing or frosting) that is popular in areas around the Swahili countries of Kenya and Tanzania. Often eaten along with breakfast or tea, or as a snack by itself.

* South Africa

o Vetkoek (pronounced FET-kook) is a fried bread dough traditional to Afrikaner and also called magwenya by the indigenous population. It is typically rolled into a ball or hot dog bun shape.

[edit] North America

Funnel cake.

A sopaipilla.

* United States

o Funnel cake - A creation which is made with fried sweet pastry where the pastry dough is extruded through a funnel into a pan of hot oil and allowed to "criss-cross" in the oil until the string of dough fills the bottom of the pan in a kind of tangled spaghetti-like arrangement, which is cooked as a cake rather than an individual snack. Funnel cakes are usually associated with carnivals, fairs, amusement parks, and seaside towns, much like (cotton candy).

o Frybread (also known as "popovers") is a Native American fried dough which may range from bread-like to donut-like depending on the source, as many tribes use different recipes.

o Hushpuppies - savoury fried dough balls made from a heavy cornmeal batter

o Elephant ears - Fairground specialty, a large, flat round fried dough, often covered in fruit or sugar, also called fried bread, beaver tails, elephant ears, whales tails, tiger ears, pizza frita, frying saucers, doughboys

o Sopaipilla - a fried dough side dish or dessert popular among Mexican-Americans in the Southwest. Sopaipillas puff with air when fried, the finished product resembling a pillow. They are often served with honey, but may also be sprinkled with a cinnamon and sugar mixture. Sopaipillas are characteristic of New Mexican cuisine.

o Beignet - New Orleans's a deep-fried choux pastry covered with confectioner's sugar

o Fried Coke - A creation made in the summer of 2006 which has proven very popular in Texas. Batter is mixed with Coca-Cola syrup and fried, after which it is topped with more Coke syrup or whipped cream, a cherry, etc.[1]

* Canada

o Bannock - also called frybread

o Beaver tails - oblong shaped fried dough, like American elephant ears

o Toutins - fried bits of leftover bread dough. Often served with molasses.

* Mexico

o Buñuelo (also known as the "Mexican Fried Cookie"), essentially a round, cookie-shaped doughnut, often pan-fried rather than deep fried.

o Churro - a thin cylinder of deep-fried pastry with a characteristic 'ridged' surface, due to being extruded through a star shaped hole. It is also popular in the US where it is sometimes referred to a "Mexican Doughnut". In Mexico, churros are often had for breakfast or in local fiestas, matched with thick chocolate or white coffee. They are sometimes homemade or bought frozen to fry at home, but most are bought at cafes or from fixed or ambulatory churrerías.

[edit] South America

* Brazil

o Pastel, is a thin pastry envelope containing minced meat, catupiry and chicken, shrimp or another filling and then deep-fried.

* Sopaipilla

* Peru

o Picarones, a sweet, ring-shaped pumpkin-based fritter; often served with a molasses syrup.

* Panama

* Hojaldre - a white flour dough made with baking powder that is deep-fried. It is a traditional breakfast cuisine in Panama.

Edited by kenny weir

From your long list my favorites are:

Sopapillas - get 'em nice & puffy, tear off a small corner, put honey inside.

Churros - first experienced in Oaxaca, a few places here in Santa Fe (El Meson's have been the best) make them. Dip in hot chocolate

for monday night football, i'll be sure to whip up a batch of fried pepsicola

I'm just finishing Dan Simmons' The Fall Of Hyperion. One of the foodstuff the various far-future galaxy-jumping good guys/bad guys/good-AND-bad guys eat is something called fried dough.

Really? Perhaps in the far, far future humanity has genetically modified itself so that eating fried dough isn't harmful. Reminds me of some of Asimov's novels, where in the far future people are still smoking cigarettes.

But then, what the hell else are you gonna do with dough? BAKE it?????

The fried dough story, in brief:

Arrived in Arad Romania on train from Budapest. Need to spend the night in the train station, before train to Sibiu in the morning. It's 1990. Nicolae Ceauşescu's still warm in the grave. The train station is cold, lit by a single bulb in the "grand hall", and populated by the downtrodden...plus my girlfriend and me. (What WAS I thinking...if I was thinking.) The sole food available: langos (that's phoenetic - I've no idea how the locals spelled it.) They got her through the night, and remain a source of laughs twenty years later.

Given the loose parameters of the wikipedia list, another that could be added are potato cakes.

These are sold in Oz/NZ fish and chip joints and low-rent burger joints. Basically a slice of potato about .5cm thick dipped in batter and deep fried. They're crap, IMHO; albeit very popular crap. There's no reason why they couldn't be a delicacy of some sort a la tempura. So I guess it comes down to quality of ingredients, including the oil, and so on. Certainly, potato cakes are a lot heavier, gluggier than tempura.

Edited by kenny weir