Loose Tubes

A Lark Ascending

The band the spawned much of the current UK jazz scene!

Their first two LPs have never been on CD - a pity as they are wonderful! The third did come out on CD but vanished long ago.

Well, they are all still OOP but we are now promised:

Twenty years ago the band Loose Tubes to the consternation of their fans and admirers were on the point of breaking up. But a new album released next month recalls the final days of the influential big band, recorded live at Ronnie Scott’s club on 13-15 September 1990. A whistle from the London crowd and cheers open the South African township-flavoured first track ‘Yellow Hill’ on Dancing On Frith Street, now confirmed for a Lost Marble Records release via Proper Note on 27 September.

Full story:

http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/component/content/article/67-2010/11541-jazz-breaking-news-loose-tubes-to-release-dancing-on-frith-street

I look forward to that one.

441px-Loose_Tubes.jpg

More here:

https://thejazzbreakfast.wordpress.com/2010/09/05/new-loose-tubes-cd-later-this-month/

The-Poster-Formerly-Known-As-Bev

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Bev. Great news. I first heard of them due to the Bruford/Earthworks connection in the mid 80's and have a few of their records from "back in the day". I am sorry that their material isn't available because it really was fantastic. Hopefully, this CD will be somewhat easy to get over here (are you listening Dusty Groove????) because I am sure that they were monstrous live.

Some of the Brits here saw them - I think sidewinder mentioned Ronnie's and parading in the street.

My memory is of a BBC Proms broadcast where they did a great version of Andy Williams' 'Can't Take My Eyes Off You'. Never saw them live though have seen many of them subsequently in many formations.

Interviews surrounding this record suggest that no-one really knows where the tapes went for the studio recordings; but some of the musicians are expressing an interest in getting these out there. The first two are brilliant; the last (with Teo Macero producing) not quite so engaging.

Hopefully my copy of the live disc is winging this way at the moment.

Saw them several times back in the 1980s. Once at the Bath Fest in 1988 I think - the BBC televised it and I used to have a copy (with me visible on the film) but it was wiped by mistake :rolleyes: . The second time was a free performance that they did in Nathan Philips Square in Toronto back in 1989, part of the Toronto Jazz Fest of that year. Never a massive fan but their performances were fun !

Some of the Brits here saw them - I think sidewinder mentioned Ronnie's and parading in the street.

Indeed - I'd forgotten about that so that makes it 3 times. Senility setting in ! :crazy:

Edited by sidewinder

My memory is of a BBC Proms broadcast where they did a great version of Andy Williams' 'Can't Take My Eyes Off You'. Never saw them live though have seen many of them subsequently in many formations.

Interviews surrounding this record suggest that no-one really knows where the tapes went for the studio recordings; but some of the musicians are expressing an interest in getting these out there. The first two are brilliant; the last (with Teo Macero producing) not quite so engaging.

I have their "Open Letter" album--is this the one which is "not quite so engaging"?

I have their "Open Letter" album--is this the one which is "not quite so engaging"?

Afraid so...in my opinion, that is. The tunes are just stronger on the first two.

Loose Tubes did not just have great young players, bursting with energy; but some excellent writers. 'Shelley' off the second album by bassist Steve Bery is a glorious piece of writing. I notice it's on the live disc too.

• 1 year later...