Atlantic City - The Diving Horse

Not for a day or so- everything is at home....

I went to Steel Pier in the 1960s.....ages 5-7 or so....the pictures you scanned capture it very well.....looks to be during the 40s or so by the 48 star flag. I remember the Grand Ballroom where *everyone* played: Sinatra, Benny Goodman, etc. and the Diving Bell....

Here's something I found from the Press of Atlantic City:

Q: Whatever happened to Sonora Carver, the first diving-horse girl on the Steel Pier?

Answer Guy: Sonora Webster Carver is still alive and relatively well at 98. She lives in a nursing home in Atlantic County. Her horse-diving career began when Sonora Webster and her sister Arnette responded to one of "Doc" William F. Carver's help-wanted ads. Carver invented the diving horse act and needed young women who were willing to ride horses that plunged 40 feet into a water tank. Sonora was 20 when she joined the show. Carver soon brought the act to the Steel Pier in 1921. Sonora took the Carver name when she married his son, Al.

Sonora lost her eyesight in 1931, in a freak accident. Her horse landed badly, Sonora's face smacked the water and her already weak retinas detached.

But by the spring of 1932, she was diving with horses again. She later told The Press that diving blind felt exactly the same as diving with sight - but she had a hard time finding her way out of the tank. She learned to read Braille, a difficult feat for someone who lost her sight as an adult.

In 1942 the diving-horse act temporarily stopped, because of the war. The act resumed later, but Sonora chose to stay retired.

Her sister, Arnette Webster French, rode diving horses for about 5 years. She died in 2000 at age 87.

But Sonora, the woman who inspired the 1991 movie "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken," is still upbeat.

Putting aside the whole debate of whether it's humane or not, it was certainly a site to see......jumping from that height on a horse, let alone jumping by ones self was incredible.....the pool was deep enough so the horse wasn't injured and it climbed out somehow......all the piers in Atlantic City tried to outdo each other, and I guess this was the featured attraction at Steel Pier.