Ike Quebec's "Blue & Sentimental" AP hybrid SACD

dreamcatcher_43

Seriously, brand names are used to sell dreams at least as much as they are product.

Buying a dream is cool until you wake up. Product is what it is, and endures according to its merits.

Well I'm glad you came along to help everyone who feels ambivalent about Blue Note, lest they fall into the evil clutches of megaconglommerates, madison avenue and Alfred Lion. We surely wouldn't want anyone to confuse buying a dream with buying a jazz record. :blink:

Well I'm glad you came along to help everyone who feels ambivalent about Blue Note, lest they fall into the evil clutches of megaconglommerates, madison avenue and Alfred Lion.

Just doing my duty as a conscientious citizen to encourage merit-based consumption rather than blind brand-loyalty. It's a good cause.

Pretty sure Mr. Lion would approve, as he was up to the challenge his ownself.

btw - neither Mr. Lion nor his estate have an ownership stake in Blue Note, so the notion that discouraging blind brand-loyalty somehow hurts or otherwise detracts from him or his legacy is pretty much exactly the type of irrational emo (sorry Cary) b.s. that creates the market for "Jazz As Holy Canon". Alfred Lion & Blue Note were great (when they were great, which was far more often than not) because they were people of substance who created product of substance, not because they were "Alfred Lion" or "Blue Note". Now that Lion's gone & BN's just another corporate nameplate (although a very real one, at least for now), we don't need "another Alfred Lion" or "another Blue Note", which is what too damn many people seem hellbent on providing us (or convincing us they are providing), or thinking that we really do need. We need more people and things becoming the first whatever they are instead of another what somebody else has already been. Substance does not come from re-presenting the past as "tribute". Substance comes from facing whatever eternal truths and temporal realities there are to be had and presenting them as they need to be heard in a way that they will be heard. Heard, not "listened to"!

If there weren't so much damn stagnation and even regression in the music and the marketplace, hell, in the America character in general, I'd not be so damn pissed off about hero worship, especially for heroes I myself consider worthy. But there is, and I am. So whatever you get from digging on "Alfred Lion" and "Blue Note", hey good for you. Just don't think that you can keep it alive by "keeping it alive".

Edited by JSngry

Alfred Lion & Blue Note were great (when they were great, which was far more often than not) because they were people of substance who created product of substance, not because they were "Alfred Lion" or "Blue Note".

hmmmm. I think you agree with me that jazz fans shouldn't feel "ambivalent" about arguably the greatest jazz label, but you're getting too philosophical and abstract for your own good.

Alfred Lion & Blue Note were great (when they were great, which was far more often than not) because they were people of substance who created product of substance, not because they were "Alfred Lion" or "Blue Note".

hmmmm. I think you agree with me that jazz fans shouldn't feel "ambivalent" about arguably the greatest jazz label, but you're getting too philosophical and abstract for your own good.

How you get any of that is beyond me (I mean, really, you tell me that you "think" I agree with something that I've explicitly said I don't agree with, at least not wholesale, and just how "philosophical" you have to get before you can get there, I don't know) how , but it just dawned who "EyeSpeech" is and why I had you blocked, so...my bad.

Shoulda' respected the block. Really, my bad, completely.

Your words, "Alfred Lion and Blue Note were great when they were great which was far more often than not..."

That sounds like jazz fans shouldn't feel ambivalent about it. Ambivalence would be directed at a label that was mediocre, not great. Make sense? :shrug[1]: