Papa Bue 1930-2011 RIP

HolgerFreimutSchrick

Arne "Papa" Bue Jensen (born 8 May 1930, Copenhagen, deceased 3 November 2011), known as Papa Bue, was a Danish trombonist and bandleader, chiefly associated with the Dixieland jazz revival style of which he was considered an important proponent. He founded and led the Viking Jazz Band which was active from 1956. R.I.P. Papa Bue!

I am very sorry to hear that Arne passed. I have not seen Arne for many years, but our paths converged in his early years when both of us were making our presence felt on the burgeoning Copenhagen jazz scene. When Storyville recently celebrated his 80th birthday with a boxed set, I was asked to write the notes. I wanted to talk to Arne in connection with that, but was told that it was impossible to get him to the phone. They said he would still go out and want to sit in, but his friends tried to discourage him.

He had a long, successful run and left a legacy that isn't everybody's cup of tea, but will have feet stomping for years to come.

In a minor kind of way, I count myself a fan of Papa Bue and the Viking Jazz Band. When I was in Copenhagen a couple of years ago, I picked up a handful of Storyville EPs by the Vikings, including one with George Lewis on clarinet. I first became aware of Papa Bue when I picked up this CD years ago; it features four trad bands (two from New Orleans and two from Europe) recorded at the 1969 New Orleans Jazz Festival. The Vikings have two tracks, and they're really nice; Papa Bue chose a couple of tunes you don't hear very often ("Doin' the Voom Voom" and "Kinklets").

Edited by jeffcrom