The season's key releases

Signal To Noise | issue 32 | winter 2004

Bill Meyer chose 7 like-minded artists to feature in this quarter's edition and I'm interested in hearing most of these. I've read a lot of good hype about a number of the picks listed below. For those of you familiar with the artists or the recordings, what do you have to say?

Oren Ambarchi .:. Triste | idea 2003 LP

Oren Ambarchi/Johan Berthling .:. My Days Are Darker Than Your Nights | Hapna H.10 CD

Oren Ambarchi/Günther Müller/Voice Crack .:. s/t | Audiosphere AS 06 CD

Keith Rowe .:. 29 October 2001 | Sound 323 [2] 3" CD

Oren Ambarchi/Robbie Avenaim/Keith Rowe + Sachiko M & Otomo Yoshihide .:. Thumb | Grob 432 CD

Keith Rowe/Thomas Lehn/Marcus Schmickler .:. Run Rabbit | Erstwhile 027 CD

Keith Rowe/John Tilbury .:. Duos For Doris | Erstwhile 030-2 2xCD

I'd think the Australians are happy to see Oren Ambarchi listed 4 separate times on a list of 7!

The only disc on this list that I have heard so far is Duos for Doris. I really enjoy it, but it is definitely not for everyone. If you have ever heard AMM you should have a rough idea of what to expect. For the two Erstwhile titles go to erstwhilerecords.com and listen to the sound samples (which don't really do justice to the recordings, as listening to the entire "arc" of the performance is crucial, imo) and read some of the reviews. There is also an electroacoustic discussion over at Jazz Corner that would be the best place to look for feedback on all six of these discs.

If you pick any of these up let me know what you think!

I'd really like to hear a duet with Ambarchi and Rowe. Maybe add Tilbury in there as well. I am very new to this music, including AMM, and am fascinated with some, and left shrugging about the rest.

Very difficult music to come by as well. You think your local jazz selection sucks? Try finding some of these!

Big Wheel, can you post a link to your radio station? I'd like to tune in for the Erstwhile show.

Thanks guys!

I'd really like to hear a duet with Ambarchi and Rowe. Maybe add Tilbury in there as well. I am very new to this music, including AMM, and am fascinated with some, and left shrugging about the rest.

Very difficult music to come by as well. You think your local jazz selection sucks? Try finding some of these!

Big Wheel, can you post a link to your radio station? I'd like to tune in for the Erstwhile show.

Thanks guys!

the best place to pick these records up that I have found so far is through Erstwhile. Jon Abbey distributes releases on other labels for the best prices I have been able to find. Go to the erst site and click on "Other Cds." All of these Ambarchi discs seem to be available for about $13 each.