Pacific Rim CD storage cabinets.

mikelz777

Has anyone here seen or own a Pacific Rim CD storage cabinet? I've had an eye on these for a couple of years now and was wondering what anyone might have to say regarding their quality. I currently own a 2-drawer Can-Am cabinet and love it as a storage solution for my CDs. The Can-Am cabinet is of excellent quality but the Pacific Rim cabinets can be had for hundreds less so it has me wondering about their quality. I believe the Pacific Rim cabinets are what was being used at a local used CD/DVD store (which I think has since closed) so they must have been of decent enough quality for the heavier use of a retail store. Can anyone here comment on the Pacific Rim cabinet quality? (drawer slides, drawer sturdiness, thickness/heaviness of sheet metal, etc.)

Has anyone here seen or own a Pacific Rim CD storage cabinet? I've had an eye on these for a couple of years now and was wondering what anyone might have to say regarding their quality. I currently own a 2-drawer Can-Am cabinet and love it as a storage solution for my CDs. The Can-Am cabinet is of excellent quality but the Pacific Rim cabinets can be had for hundreds less so it has me wondering about their quality. I believe the Pacific Rim cabinets are what was being used at a local used CD/DVD store (which I think has since closed) so they must have been of decent enough quality for the heavier use of a retail store. Can anyone here comment on the Pacific Rim cabinet quality? (drawer slides, drawer sturdiness, thickness/heaviness of sheet metal, etc.)

I have seen them in use, and they seemed very worthy alternatives to Can Am. They do have the white pressboard finish akin to Ikea bookshelves., and they don't allow oversize CDs in a drawer filled with regular sized ones (due to the height of the drawer and the width of the rows, but the drawers and all seemed solid, and my friend had no complaints. I have considered getting them; just debating whether I care for the finish. My friend had them in a pantry, not an area of heavy traffic; my location would be more public. I think the Can-Am have better finish and are more solid, but I think Pacific Rim are solid enough.

Oh, I can't get your link to work.

Here's a previous discussion on our board:

But the link I gave in that for a source for Pacific Rim no longer works.

This seems to be Pacific Rim's website

http://www.pacrimcab.com/

But one can't actually find the CD cabinets on it (or at least I haven't yet)

Edited by Adam

So the finish on the Pacific Rim cabinets is just a smooth finish like on a file cabinet? Is it a flat, glossy or shiny finish? My Can-Am has a glossy (black) finish and has a leather-like pattern to it.

Like you, my cabinets would be out in the open, stashed in a corner of my living room. You'd be able to see them, but they wouldn't really be a focal point that would naturally draw your eye. If they weren't quite as solid as a Can- Am, that would be OK, but I wouldn't want something flimsy like those cheap filing cabinets you can get at discount stores where they flex and bend when you move them. From what you said, it sounds like they would be more solid and sturdy than that. I guess I'm most concerned about its sturdiness. If your main concern is the finish, then maybe I wouldn't have anything to be concerned about. Finish-wise, I'd just want it close enough so that there wouldn't be an obvious difference if I stacked a Pacific Rim on top of my Can-Am.

That prior discussion you noted was started by me but there really wasn't any discussion on the quality of the cabinets. I'm ready to buy now so I'm looking for some more information.

The link you posted appears to be a different Pacific Rim. Here's a link to their metal cabinets.

CD storage cabinets.

Edited by mikelz777