Who Knows The Chicago Jazz Club Scene?

randissimo

I'm going to be in Chicago the weekend of Feb 13th & 14th.. It's not only the Valentine's Day weekend, it's my girlfriend Margaret's 50th Birthday celebration (which actually happens on Feb 12th) and she wishes to party in Chicago! So it's my task to find THE HAPPENIN' JAZZ CLUB FOR SATURDAY NIGHT....

Any suggestions? Links to Live Chicago Jazz Sites? :w

Randissimo,

Off the top of my head, all I know of right now is the Dave Douglas Quintet at the Green Mill, Valentine's Day evening, and that's because that's the one I'll be at! :g I know there is more, but I don't have the info with me. I'll post it later on today or tomorrow.

A good site to check for jazz is www.chicagoreader.com. Just click on the Music link, then the Jazz link, and you're all set. The thing is that they usually only have information for the next week or two, hardly ever any longer than that. But its very complete for the given time frame.

I think Kurt Elling is playing (singing, actually) somewhere in Chicago on Valentine's Day, but I forget where. He has a web site (if you're interested in his stuff), I'm sure it's on there. I saw him when he jumped up on stage with Benny Golson a few weeks ago at the Jazz Showcase; this was the first time I had actually heard him. He was pretty good, but I don't have any of his recording to really know what he's all about!

The Judy Roberts Trio and Two for Brazil are playing at the Jazz Showcase on V-Day also. I don't know too much about either.

Mark

Randy-

As far as who's playing where, I don't know. As far as clubs to try to visit, I'd recommend the Green Mill and the Jazz Showcase as two places to definitely check out. And don't forget Jazz Record Mart......if you can sneak out for a minute...... ;)

Dave Douglas at the Green Mill? Sounds like a plan to me. Randy, if you've never been there it's a smoky and often noisy place, but a great vibe and much history. The staff do attempt to "shush' the audience there, god bless 'em, but often to little or no avail. The best listening is early in the gig.

The Showcase OTOH is quieter and smoke-free. But no Dave Douglas. Judy Roberts is excellent, however- probably more of a "romantic" vibe at the Showcase, if that's what you're looking for. :wub:

Have a great time! And happy birthday to Margaret! :party:

Edited by Free For All