Jimmy Smith question

michel devos

Jimmy Smith toured Europed in march 1987 with his trio. Played among others in Brussels where I of course attended. Drummer was Grady Tate, but I am not sure of the guitar player. Was it Terry Galbraith or Nathan Page? I rather incline for the second, but with no certainty.

Would anybody care to help here?

Many thanks in advance

Edited by michel devos

I'd be very curious to hear if it turned out to be Page - who spelled his name "Nathen", though there are just as many (if not even more!) on-line references under "Nathan" with an 'a' (so you gotta always search on both). And, FWI, I'm looking at my copy of "PAGE-ing NATHEN" at this very moment, to be sure how it's spelled.

post-171-0-03929400-1334969464_thumb.jpg

Everything I've ever seen seems to indicate Page only played with Smith from about 1965-70 (or late 60's, if those years are too precise). Page is a real favorite of mine (I have most of his sideman dates, plus three or four of his leader-dates), and if he did play with Jimmy in the 80's - I'd love to hear if anything they did managed to get recorded.

Do many/any 80's Jimmy Smith dates circulate??

And for those who haven't ever heard him, here's Nathen playing Footprints. What I like best about his playing is his really 'tart' tone -- a fair bit like Jimmy Ponder on the earlier "Grass Roots" session by Andrew Hill (the one that only ever came out on CD), and also Ponder's playing on that one Big John Patton BN date I can't remember the name of at the moment. (Those are the two best comparisons I can think of right off.)

Page played in some kind of unique way, something about a finger-pick on his thumb? (or maybe was it a thumb-pick on his finger?) - something like that. In any case, he had a real 'homemade' playing style that was kinda quirky, and maybe even a bit awkward-sounding at times -- but I just love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EgOQo8clOw

Edited by Rooster_Ties

This is great. I always get Nathen Page and Calvin Keys mixed up. Both great. Both played with Jimmy Smith. Page plays on Jimmy Smith's 'The Boss'. George Benson is on the other tracks. Two for the price of one :)

I remember either Russell Malone or Mark Whitfield played with Jimmy Smith when they were young, could be one of them.

And here he is...yippee!

Wish it was with Big John Patton instead of Mr. Showbiz.

Edited by freelancer

Thanks for these replies : maybe we'll find out the right answer. The guitar player also sang a tune, Georgia on my mind : Jimmy introduced the song, but did not mention the name, just said '"our guitar player"...Would that help?

Another correspondent thinks it was Nathan, or Nathen Page who toured with Jimmy in 1987: but no evidence yet.

Now, if one of you heard the guitat player, would he be able to identify him?

Thanks for these replies : maybe we'll find out the right answer. The guitar player also sang a tune, Georgia on my mind : Jimmy introduced the song, but did not mention the name, just said '"our guitar player"...Would that help?

Another correspondent thinks it was Nathan, or Nathen Page who toured with Jimmy in 1987: but no evidence yet.

Now, if one of you heard the guitat player, would he be able to identify him?

I did a little research on All Music Guide and found an album Jimmy Smith did in 1986 entitled Go for Whatcha' Know. On it was the guitarist Kenny Burrell. Perhaps it was he who did that tour in 1987?

The next album listed is a 1989 offering called Prime Time with Phil Upchurch and Terry Evans on guitar. Hope this helps.

Here's the link: Jimmy Smith on AMG

Edited by GoodSpeak

I saw Jimmy Smith on August 1, 1987, at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth. It was a trio, with guitar and drums. Definitely not Kenny Burrell. I have a tape of a radio broadcast from the night before of part of a set; I'll dig it out and see if the announcer identifies the guitarist.

I did a little research on All Music Guide and found an album Jimmy Smith did in 1986 entitled Go for Whatcha' Know. On it was the guitarist Kenny Burrell. Perhaps it was he who did that tour in 1987?

The next album listed is a 1989 offering called Prime Time with Phil Upchurch and Terry Evans on guitar. Hope this helps.

YES..! That'it....I remember the name of the guy : Terry Evans!

I messed up my scribblings that night and I mixed up Barry Galbraight and Terry Evans.

Well, finally, 25 years later, I may add the correct name on the tape box...!:lol::g:excited::party::tup:rofl:

Thank you all again!

Michel

Cool!

Glad I could help :tup^_^