ANYBODY INTO MOUNTAIN BIKING?

I used to race mountain bikes until I broke my back. We have some good trails out here in Southern Calfornia, but there have been some closures of great trails. I'm hoping to get on my bike more in the future, but I have found it hard to make the time for it.

It is such a great way to get away from everything. I've had amazing experiences while on my bike. I've had deer run along with me. That just blew me away.

:rsmile:

I'm tuning up my wife's and my mountain bike this weekend, the trails should be opening soon...can't wait! We just got into mountain biking last year. I have been a big road biker for years but just got bored of endless pedaling down the road. Mountain biking is a great challenge, we have some decent trails here in wisconsin with lots of stumps, rocks, trees, creeks etc. Can't wait to get out there!!!

I used to race mountain bikes until I broke my back. We have some good trails out here in Southern Calfornia, but there have been some closures of great trails. I'm hoping to get on my bike more in the future, but I have found it hard to make the time for it.

It is such a great way to get away from everything. I've had amazing experiences while on my bike. I've had deer run along with me. That just blew me away.

Wow, sounds like you've had some serious rides! I've been mountain biking since '95 and really love it! We've got some great trails here in Michigan, upper and lower peninsulas...

I just bought a Giant full suspension bike (NRS2).. I haven't quite got it dialed in. Did a 20 mile ride with another drummer and guitarist Joe Gloss today and had some trouble with the derailluers and the disc brake in the front

is kind of noisy at times. Sweet bike though! :g

Randissimo,

Those Giants look like sweet bikes. I'm still on a hardtail. I'm looking forward to entering the realm of full suspension someday.

Back when I was riding daily, I was always tweaking my bike. I bought so many aftermarket goodies for it, it was crazy. It took me a long time to realize that I should just stick with the Shimano parts and not use all those boutique parts. My bike always rode better with the standard stuff.

I stopped racing way back in '91. I was flying down a ridge and I came to a dropoff. I was probably going about 50 mph, I pulled a tabletop and I ate it (ooof!). I went down so hard that I bent a Shimano XT crankset. I had to wratchet my cranks for 10 miles back to my car. I was really hurting. That's when I broke my back.

Now, I'm happy to just cruise along. Mountain bikes are a blast!

Definitely! I have been mountain biking for a few years now. Nothing too technical, but enough to keep things interesting.

When I got married part of my bachelor party was spent at Killington, in Vermont, taking the ski lift up and riding our bikes down the mountain all day. It was a blast!

For the tough types among you, lose the suspension, the cushy tires and the comfy handlebars. Ditch the high-powered brakes; develop a little finesse instead. One or two chainrings ought to be enough; if you can't quite handle the climb, bail off, shoulder your bike and run. And don't confine yourself to established, even groomed trails; throw in a few obstacles that force a dismount and portage.

Say what?

Say cyclocross.

- BeBop

Racing CX since 1977

P.S. New Englanders ESPECIALLY have not excuse.

For the tough types among you, lose the suspension, the cushy tires and the comfy handlebars. Ditch the high-powered brakes; develop a little finesse instead. One or two chainrings ought to be enough; if you can't quite handle the climb, bail off, shoulder your bike and run. And don't confine yourself to established, even groomed trails; throw in a few obstacles that force a dismount and portage.

Say what?

Say cyclocross.

- BeBop

Racing CX since 1977

P.S. New Englanders ESPECIALLY have not excuse.

BeBop,

You have my respect. I always wanted to try cyclecross. I even put some of those WTB drop bars on a mountain bike years ago. It was a truly scary thing. I thought I wasn't going to make it back. Those drop bars came off as soon as I made it home.

I'm in Southern California and I never could find any good cyclecross events when I was riding a lot.

JohnB,

That sounds like a bachelor party I would really enjoy. Those ski lifts are like a Disneyland for bikers. They're a lot of fun.

Impossible,

Thanks! I remember as I was riding along with the deer, being aware of what an amazing thing it was. It's amazing, you can hop on your bike, ride for a while, and then find yourself in situations like this. I really miss riding daily.

I hope I didn't sound like I was putting down mountain biking. I just happen to prefer its spiritual father. CX is definitely a bit harrowing, especially for beginners. Basically, the bike isn't 'the right tool for the job'. But riders walk away (or hobble or stagger or get-carried-away-on-a-stretcher...) with some great technique.

If you get a chance, watch a CX race sometime. Great racers (which I am not) are impressive to watch.

I hope I didn't sound like I was putting down mountain biking. I just happen to prefer its spiritual father. CX is definitely a bit harrowing, especially for beginners. Basically, the bike isn't 'the right tool for the job'. But riders walk away (or hobble or stagger or get-carried-away-on-a-stretcher...) with some great technique.

If you get a chance, watch a CX race sometime. Great racers (which I am not) are impressive to watch.

I didn't take it as you putting down mountain biking. :)

Cyclecross looks like an amazing sport. From the pictures I've seen in the past, I've come away highly impressed. I would love to be able to ride (or run) cyclecross.

Bebop --- big up Roger de Vlaeminck and Adrie Van Der Poel, the two kings of cyclocross as far as i'm concerned.

De Vlaeminck actually used to ride between mountain hairpins, ie. taking a shortcut -- straight down, when he rode in road events.

Interesting to note that many World Cup events for cyclocross have been basically kermesses on hard packed dirt circuits, with no need to dismount. I even saw one where the Italian national squad were going through and off a la road racing!

I mentioned the quality of CX racing in the United States' Northeast area, but the Belgians (and certain other Northern Europeans) RULE at this discipline. I went over there and just got humiliated. Headed back to the States with tail between legs.

If there's anybody else who shares my joy of mountain biking besides Joe Gloss, let me know.. We have great trails here in Michigan...  :g  :excited:

~Randissimo~

I biked to the top of Mount Pleasant once. On the way I stopped and said "hi" to Mike Johnston at New Moon.

Mike Johnston... I've had some really fun gigs with him and Mike Gill.. I even did some recording with Northwoods about 5 yrs ago... Don't know whatever happened to the tapes. We sure had an interesting chemistry! :g

Do you ever ride the Hart Montague trail?

The Hart - Montague trail has expanded to become the Hart - Whitehall trail. It currently ends about 1000 feet from my house. In the summer I bike a bit, but almost every night my wife and I walk a section as part of our current regimen.

Gotta exercise those muscles every day.

How far south does the trail go now? I haven't ridden it since the summer of

2001.. I heard it was going to be expanded to Ludington? There are some sections of that trail. I've had some great rides on it! I also like the Pentwater Pathway. It's only about 6 miles long but has some nice mountain biking track...

I'd like to come and hang some time... Here's a gig you'll be interested in..

June 29th at Gull Landing, Pentwater, Organissimo will be performing on the deck with my dad, arno Marsh on tenor, and Harvey Thompson on vocals..

It's going to be a swinger!

June 29th at Gull Landing, Pentwater, Organissimo will be performing on the deck with my dad, arno Marsh on tenor, and Harvey Thompson on vocals..

The trail ends at the south edge of Whitehall, at White Lake Drive. It will eventually connect with the trail from Muskegon, east towards GR - but we gotta wait a while for this. I have no info about the northern extension to Ludington.

Come and hang anytime.

Damn, Ann and I leave on June 27th for a road trip to the Grand Canyon. We can't change the dates 'cause our son's wedding is part of the journey. We'll be gone for 2 weeks. I can't think of a gig I'd rather be at this year. Damn.

Call me some time - 231 894-4088. The number in the book is always connected to this computer - haha.

• 4 years later...

The trail ends at the south edge of Whitehall, at White Lake Drive. It will eventually connect with the trail from Muskegon, east towards GR - but we gotta wait a while for this. I have no info about the northern extension to Ludington.

Come and hang anytime.

Damn, Ann and I leave on June 27th for a road trip to the Grand Canyon. We can't change the dates 'cause our son's wedding is part of the journey. We'll be gone for 2 weeks. I can't think of a gig I'd rather be at this year. Damn.

Call me some time - 231 894-4088. The number in the book is always connected to this computer - haha.

Chuck, you been riding much? Like to get back on the Hart-White Hall Trail.. I'm working in Pentwater on the 22nd and am thinking about incorporating a bike ride into the day's activity.