BFT 113 discussion

So #9 is the Dirty Dozen Brass Band? I have seen them live and have other albums by them but I could not identify this one. I need to get this album by them.

You may have already done some searching but...

Positive allmusic review here:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/funeral-for-a-friend-mw0000745752

Sound clips here:

http://www.dirtydozenbrass.com/catalog/funeral-for-a-friend/

So #9 is the Dirty Dozen Brass Band? I have seen them live and have other albums by them but I could not identify this one. I need to get this album by them.

You may have already done some searching but...

Positive allmusic review here:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/funeral-for-a-friend-mw0000745752

Sound clips here:

http://www.dirtydozenbrass.com/catalog/funeral-for-a-friend/

To get personal for a moment - at my funeral I've told my wife that I want the Dirty Dozen's "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" from this album played, along with Memphis Slim's "Mother Earth."

8. I don't have words for how beautiful this track is. I almost feel guilty for eavesdropping on the tenor player's prayers. Is that a nylon-string guitar, or as I'm suspecting, a harp? This is the best 10 minutes of my day. I need this record.

9. Is that "Silver Threads Among the Gold"? Sort of a cajun-and country-go-to-Bourbon-Street thing. The tuba player is somethin' else, and the guitar is so lovely that I didn't even notice all that good trombone until the second time through.

10. A cello again, I think. It really seems to come together when the piano comes in. I'm struck by the pianist's refusal to play fast -- I like that. Everybody on the same page. A very nice ending, too.

11. It's better before the tenor comes in and the pianist starts bashing. Maybe the trumpeter is the leader? Once the trumpet starts, the tenor seems to defer.

12. After the funny long intro, "I've Found a New Baby" arrives seemingly out of nowhere. Strong trumpet. Second hearing reveals more of the logic behind that long intro. I love this one, and the Lincoln Center guys should hear this one too. Is this from the same album as Track 4?

13. Is this going to turn out to be some multi-sectional piece from before 1930? Some composition of James P. Johnson or Fats Waller? Interesting throughout, though the playing is a little spotty. I like it anyway.

This has been a blast, Nick, and I'll always be grateful for being introduced to track 8 especially.

All very interesting. So hang on a minute...track 8 must be Charlie Kohlhase, John Tchicai and Garrison Fewell...aha!

I'm kicking myself for not getting the Perry Robinson or the Sun Ra. I've heard of that Sun Ra thing before, but never actually heard the track. Will have to listen to it again. There's a lot of Sun Ra that I love, but honestly that particular track didn't do too much for me on the first listen.

8. I don't have words for how beautiful this track is. I almost feel guilty for eavesdropping on the tenor player's prayers. Is that a nylon-string guitar, or as I'm suspecting, a harp? This is the best 10 minutes of my day. I need this record.

It is a guitar and Webbcity has IDed the musicians in the post after yours. This track is maybe the most "lyrical" (for lack of a better word) on the album. This is another one that I have come to like even more while putting together the BFT. The liner notes have some interesting comments on John Tchicai. Like Fewell and Kohlhase sitting back stage before a concert and hearing Mr. Tchicai "warming up" and then realizing he was actually on stage performing. Interesting character.

9. Is that "Silver Threads Among the Gold"? Sort of a cajun-and country-go-to-Bourbon-Street thing. The tuba player is somethin' else, and the guitar is so lovely that I didn't even notice all that good trombone until the second time through.

Good comments. For a short, kind of simple tune, there is a whole lot going on.

10. A cello again, I think. It really seems to come together when the piano comes in. I'm struck by the pianist's refusal to play fast -- I like that. Everybody on the same page. A very nice ending, too.

Yes cello. Some of the guys don't think everyone is on the same page but I agree more with you. : 0 ) These guys have played together for quite some time.

11. It's better before the tenor comes in and the pianist starts bashing. Maybe the trumpeter is the leader? Once the trumpet starts, the tenor seems to defer.

The trumpeter is a "guest" on two of the tracks from this live album. I thought the tenor follows his lead as well but again they have played music together a long time.

12. After the funny long intro, "I've Found a New Baby" arrives seemingly out of nowhere. Strong trumpet. Second hearing reveals more of the logic behind that long intro. I love this one, and the Lincoln Center guys should hear this one too. Is this from the same album as Track 4?

It is a different album from track 4 but there certainly is a similar bent.

13. Is this going to turn out to be some multi-sectional piece from before 1930? Some composition of James P. Johnson or Fats Waller? Interesting throughout, though the playing is a little spotty. I like it anyway.

Don Cherry composition.

This has been a blast, Nick, and I'll always be grateful for being introduced to track 8 especially.

Obviously happy you enjoyed this. I liked your comments as well. Thanks.

All very interesting. So hang on a minute...track 8 must be Charlie Kohlhase, John Tchicai and Garrison Fewell...aha!

I'm kicking myself for not getting the Perry Robinson or the Sun Ra. I've heard of that Sun Ra thing before, but never actually heard the track. Will have to listen to it again. There's a lot of Sun Ra that I love, but honestly that particular track didn't do too much for me on the first listen.

Track 8 is as you called it. Very good.