My incredible Jazz evening

Bright Moments

Last night i attended the 8th annual Melton Mustafa Jazz Concert at Florida Memorial College. The first half of the evening featured 3 different high school jazz bands and the Florida Memorial College Presidential jazz band. One of the High School Jazz bands was directed by Melton Mustafa, Jr. It was great seeing these kids playing Basie, Ellington, etc. They played from 7pm to 8:30

they were terrific.

and then there was a half hour intermission.

and then the fun began!

the second half of the concert was called the "Jamming Jazz Session" and went from 9pm until 11:10.

here's the line up:

Winard Harper - Drums

Abraham Laboriel - Bass

Mark Whitfield - Guitar

Dr. Nathan Davis - Saxophone (Tenor & Soprano)

Melton Mustafa - Trumpet

Benny Golson - Saxophone

Jon Faddis - Trumpet

Dr. Billy Taylor - Piano

and (as if that weren't enough!):

Clark Terry - Trumpet & Fleugalhorn

This was an amazing evening. Faddis hit notes i never imagined existed! Benny Golson played solo for his composition, "I remember Clifford." Dr. Billy Taylor played solo for one of his compositions.

Clark Terry was featured on an ensemble number called "Meet Mr. Mumbles." The interplay between Clark Terry & Jon Faddis was hysterical!

The crowd went crazy with each number.

Abraham Laboriel was a show stopper with his outrageously energetic solos. If you have never seen him live, you owe it to yourself to track him down (or come to next yeard concert as he is a regular invitee).

Mark Whitfield's fingers moved like lightning on the guitar as did Nathan Davis's on the soprano sax. The artists brought out the best in each other and Melton's trumpet was solid!

Winard Harper is now officially my favorite (contemporary) drummer.

The entire group played the "Flintstones theme" and finished with "A night in Tunesia."

A great time was had by all.

Last year's show was terrific with James Moody (who was supposed to be here this year but is on tour with his new cd), but this year's show was AMAZING!!!

Thought I'd share the evening with all my online pals.

B)