Joe Locke at the Arts Garage, Delray Beach FL

MartyJazz

I apologize for not tipping off southeast Florida residents about this event that took place last night, a Tuesday that should have been a weekend event. But bear with my review.

Every once in a while, I attend a jazz event that epitomizes what this music is about, e.g., improvisational excellence, excitement, musicianship, terrific interplay, Balliett’s “sound of surprise”, etc. Last night was one of those special happenings. Joe Locke, vibraphonist supreme, appeared at the Arts Garage in Delray Beach with a quartet that included an equally tremendous Martin Bejerano on piano. Highly fresh interpretations of such great jazz standards as “Invitation”, “You Don’t Know What Love Is”, “Caravan” as well as a hard bop classic and an original here and there were performed. A fabulous evening, one I should always remember. While it was well attended, I could have convinced a few more people to go if it would have occurred on a weekend night instead of a workday evening. BTW, the Arts Garage in Delray Beach is a terrific place to enjoy music. It’s BYO whatever and you’re seated at tables where you meet people and share the goods if you wish.

Locke will be conducting a workshop class today (Nov 13th) at 4 PM. Check out the Arts Garage:

http://artsgarage.org/