Faulty Mosaic Disc?

Justin V

I received Hard Bop yesterday, and when I opened the case, I noticed that the disc has several tiny chips on the edges of the disc's silver coating. While the chips aren't nearly big enough to currently cause issues, I'm worried that what is apparently a poorly manufactured disc will further degrade and make the disc unplayable down the road. I only own half of a dozen big boxes, a handful of Selects and another Single, but I've never noticed a similar issue.

What do you guys think? Am I being overly paranoid, or should I request a replacement? Thanks.

I had a similar issue with a Sun Ra disc that i bought from Amazon: two quite large chips at the edge of the CD and matching chips in the CD tray which lead me to believe it happened in manufacturing somehow (CD was new and sealed). The funny thing was the CD still played just fine, but like you i was concerned about deterioration down the line. I ummed and ahhed but in the end requested a replacement.

After being told that it was sold out, someone here pointed out that it was still listed on the site. I originally figured that their site might be slow to update and waited a few days. When it was still listed today as being available, I emailed to check. I was told that they had a copy in the warehouse and could replace it if I sent the first copy back. I've already paid $7 (which I thought was a little steep for a single disc) to have a poorly made disc sent. Am I being a miserable SOB for thinking that it'd be unfair to have to pay another $4 or $5 to get a (hopefully) properly manufactured disc? What are they going to do with the first disc- use it as a coaster?

After being told that it was sold out, someone here pointed out that it was still listed on the site. I originally figured that their site might be slow to update and waited a few days. When it was still listed today as being available, I emailed to check. I was told that they had a copy in the warehouse and could replace it if I sent the first copy back. I've already paid $7 (which I thought was a little steep for a single disc) to have a poorly made disc sent. Am I being a miserable SOB for thinking that it'd be unfair to have to pay another $4 or $5 to get a (hopefully) properly manufactured disc? What are they going to do with the first disc- use it as a coaster?

Most sellers will send you a postage-free shipping envelope to return the disc. I don't think you should have to pay for the return.

I guess they want to avoid issues with dodgy folk who request extra discs and then on-sell them.

For what it's worth, if the disc plays fine now, it's not likely to deteriorate over time, unless you are in the habit of using it as a coaster. If you are a bit computer savvy you can easy make a duplicate yourself for safety.

I've had this happen to a bunch of discs (some from mosaic) and they all play fine still. My Hard Bop has this issue as well.

As for Mosaic, it ain't Amazon. We are talking shoe string budget there. Besides, I think shipping is only a couple of bucks to Stamford if you send media mail.

I've had this happen to a bunch of discs (some from mosaic) and they all play fine still. My Hard Bop has this issue as well.

As for Mosaic, it ain't Amazon. We are talking shoe string budget there. Besides, I think shipping is only a couple of bucks to Stamford if you send media mail.

The new copy is on its way. I suppose that considering their budget and how much enjoyment their releases have given me, I shouldn't mind kicking in the return shipping. After all, they could've just told me that it was a minor issue and not to bother them unless the disc became unplayable down the road.