The Most Frightening Moment in a Horror Movie I've Ever Seen!

I saw the scariest movie I've ever seen the other day, and it had one scene that literally had me jump out of my seat!

It was a movie from 1938, and the basic plot was that a young classical violinist defied the wishes of his mentor, Professor Heinrich, and started a band of his own playing non-classical music.

He met a blonde female vocalist of questionable moral background, and they reluctantly were forced to work together in this hideous band in San Francisco.

As is quite typical of this genre, even though they were repulsed by each other at first, the violinist and the blonde eventually fell in love, but she was lured away to NYC by a big-time theatrical producer.

He somehow followed her to NY, but his band now needed a vocalist, and this brought about what was most surely the most frightening moment (IMHO) in movie history:

The new young woman vocalist they found, barged into the hapless violinist's hotel room emitting one piercing, frightening, pitch from her vocal cords that can only be compared to the shrieking violin of the shower scene in "Psycho"!

Can anyone identify both the movie, and that terrifying vocalist?