Frank Strazzeri R.I.P.

Peter Friedman

It is difficult to go wrong with pretty much any of Frank Strazzeri's recordings.

Along with "Funk & Esoteric" on Fresh Sound that has just been deservedly praised,

I very much like "I Remember You" and "Little Giant" that are also on Fresh Sound.

On these last 2 Frank plays with a Spanish rhythm section. It was these last 2 that

made me a very serious fan of Frank's playing quite a few years ago.

"Kat Dancin"" on Discovery with John Patitucci and Ralph Penland is also a trio session

that I find highly appealing.

I have Strazzeri's CD "Somebody Loves Me" with his Woodwinds West group currently in my car CD player.

There are others I like on the Jazz Mark, and Night Life labels as well as others I did not mention on both the

Discovery and Fresh Sound labels.

Got to work a handful of times with him with Rochester over the years. He was a nice guy, loved the music and was very humble. He actually moved back here last month but I didn't get a chance to see him. Strazz worked with a lot of guys Kenny Dorham and Philly Joe as well as all the others. Very sad he passed.