Manhattan Jazz Quintet - May 27 Japanese reissues

mjzee

Any thoughts on The Manhattan Jazz Quintet? 15 titles are being reissued in Japan on May 27, along with 7 by The Manhattan Jazz Orchestra. I'm unfamiliar with these titles. The Quintet is Lew Soloff, George Young, Dave Matthews, Charnett Moffett and Steve Gadd, so there's a lot of talent there.

Any thoughts on The Manhattan Jazz Quintet? 15 titles are being reissued in Japan on May 27, along with 7 by The Manhattan Jazz Orchestra. I'm unfamiliar with these titles. The Quintet is Lew Soloff, George Young, Dave Matthews, Charnett Moffett and Steve Gadd, so there's a lot of talent there.

Still have a weak spot for their first release from 1984

787551fe7c.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Oq_MaJMu0

where the formula used for the releases to come aka playing jazz classics (without pretending neo-classicism would be a new art form....) was still fresh and the musicians involved show their considerable talent .... while re-listening to this platter still wondering why Charnett Moffet never climbed the ladder of stardom .... Low Soloff is impeccable anyway .....

Edited by soulpope

Glad to see that these are being reissued. I've never heard any of them, but my curiosity was piqued when I recently found a new-to-me Lew Soloff CD (with Kenny Kirkland, Richard Davis, and Elvin) that was issued on ProJazz. The liners mentioned Soloff's work with the Manhattan Jazz Quintet that had been issued on the same label.

Glad to see that these are being reissued. I've never heard any of them, but my curiosity was piqued when I recently found a new-to-me Lew Soloff CD (with Kenny Kirkland, Richard Davis, and Elvin) that was issued on ProJazz. The liners mentioned Soloff's work with the Manhattan Jazz Quintet that had been issued on the same label.

I have that one on cassette, of all things. GREAT recording!