Jackie Mac Quartet at the Montmartre--LP vs CD

ladenso1

I've recently learned that not only does the CD version of Jackie McLean Quartet at the Montmartre, Steeplechase SCCD 31001, contain a track, "Confirmation", that was not on the LP, SCS 1001, but it's also the case that both of the tracks, "Smile", and "Das Dat" run approximately 3-4 minutes longer on the CD than on the LP.

Anyone know what was edited out of those tracks as they appear on the LP version?

Thanks

I don´t know exactly which Album it might be.

I got the 1972 album with the Long Version of Parkers Mood, and there´s a Bonus track on the CD which is not on the LP,

and same with the "Ghetto Lullaby" from 1973.

Also the to CD´s (The Meeting and The Source, feat. Dex) got Bonus tracks on the CD.

I think it was the lack of space during the LP era. Many Steeplechase CDs from the "Classic Series" live have Bonus tracks. Same with Bud at the Golden Circle,

Lack of space is correct. 

I managed to get a copy of the unexpurgated "Smile" track.  All of Jackie's opening solo was preserved on the LP issue, but, as heard on the CD, Kenny Drew took (as best I can count--not being a player and "Smile" having, I believe, a very simple AA form) 8.5 choruses.  The LP contains the first 2 of those choruses and a skillful edit removed the next 5.  The final 1.5 choruses were appended to the first two.

I haven't succeeded in obtaining an unexpurgated copy of "Das Dat" but most likely a very similar kind of edit is involved.

hi, I dont exactly know about the lenght of the tunes. I remember, I bought them in the midseventies or something like that, and maybe later Editions even on LP had more space.

One thing about Steeplechase is clear. A lot of those live recordings where broadcasts, and sometimes not only lack of space is the reason, it maybe also just the end of the Radio program. Sometimes, the last track just fades out. On one Occasion (Brew Moore) you hear a danish Radio Speaker announcing the end of the program while the piano solo fades out.

I love all those Steeplechase classics, it was the best time for going to a jazz Club and hear some of the giants.