Help identifying tune

ladenso1

I'm not sure if the discography forum is the appropriate one for this query but none of the others jumped out at me.

On the youtube video of Phil Woods Quartet at the Maintenance Shop in Iowa City in 1979, at 46:00 of the video, they begin a tune (following "Along Came Betty") that I'm not familiar with and that Phil doesn't identify.

Would certainly appreciate it if anyone can "name that tune."

(I pasted the youtube URL into this post and the image below was the result).

per http://www.worldcat.org/title/jazz-at-the-maintenance-shop-the-phil-woods-quartet/oclc/36723474

Change partners --
Body and soul --
The scene is clean --
Along came Betty --
How's your mama?

That list seems to be missing one tune, as there are two following ACB.  The mystery tune, and then a blues at 54:00 (How's Your Mama?...?).  Odd that the list was taken from the videocassette, and yet seems to be missing a track.  Since Phil didn't announce the mystery tune, perhaps it's been a mystery all these years.  Anyway, I was never really a big fan, and never heard this.  I preferred Dexter's Maintenance Shop show, which I taped off tv with a cheap portable audiocassette recorder and microphone when it aired on PBS in 1979.

Edited by Jim R

Ah, looks like there were two tapes edited from the one taping: https://books.google.com/books?id=8FwyY-6IveQC&pg=PA111&lpg=PA111&dq=Phil+Woods+Quartet+at+the+Maintenance+Shop&source=bl&ots=R1P6-qWZD6&sig=WaA-0wLu5qzQrOWZMXu7i_2GBTI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEkQ6AEwCWoVChMIzoWM-5GxyAIVST4-Ch20dwNX#v=onepage&q=Phil Woods Quartet at the Maintenance Shop&f=false

If I did it right, a quick bump against existing YT videos of other versions of the originals listed here leaves "A Little Piece" as the sole choice for the selection presented by the OP.

Thanks guys.

As it turned out I had found a contact e-mail for Bill Goodwin on the web and mailed him the same query just before I sent my original post to Organissimo.  Very happy to report that he replied about an hour and 15 minutes later:

>That tune is called Charles Christopher (for Charlie Parker) originally recorded in '70s on the  album "I Remember"

So now the question is how do we get in touch with that worldcat reference and give them the word about this?

Further items of discog. interest:

The track from _I Remember_ is on youtube but somehow the compilers of the Woods section of the Discography Project missed that album.  However, they do list an album 10 years later on which Phil did that piece with Tommy Flanagan, George Mraz, and Kenny Washington.  _I Remember_ sounds like a fascinating LP:

http://www.jazzhistoryonline.com/Phil_Woods_I_Remember.html

The cover looks vaguely familiar to me but I think I must own another LP with a similar cover.

Thanks to you (and to Bill Goodwin) for clearing that up.

I put together a complete song list for the videos (timings are rough, based on what was provided by the uploader).

Part 1:

1. (0:00) Song For Sisyphus (Phil Woods)

2. (14:35) A Little Piece (Mike Melillo; based on a theme by Bach)

3. (30:23) Only When You're In My Arms (Harry Ruby / Con Conrad / Bert Kalmar) (I had to look this up... but too late to get a cup of coffee from Phil anyway)

4. (43:52) Shaw Nuff (Dizzy Gillespie)

5. (54:30) How's your mama? (aka Phil's Theme) (Phil Woods)

Part 2:

6. (0.00) Change Partners (Irving Berlin)

7. (11:10) Body And Soul (Johnny Green / Edward Heyman)

8. (21:30) The Scene Is Clean (Tadd Dameron)

9. (31:50) Along Came Betty (Benny Golson)

10. (46:00) Charles Christopher (Phil Woods)

11. (54:00) How's your mama? (aka Phil's Theme) (Phil Woods)