What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, alankin said:

Jean Sibelius 
– Symphony No.1 in E minor Op.39 
– Karelia Suite Op.11  
– Symphony No.4 in A minor Op.63
— Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra – Lorin Maazel (Decca Records)

34.jpg   R-4212025-1382301368-7612.jpeg.jpg

Especially Symphony 4 is very well executed ....

french_CDH55396.jpg

R-2795316-1301357390.jpeg.jpg

Ended up listening to SQ1 three times. Preceded first listen by reading a couple of guides that were either discursive without pinpointing the structure (designed for people who already had technical knowledge) or too brief to help much. Then, by chance, stumbled on this:

Exactly what I needed. You get the whole quartet with the sections clearly marked and colour coded so you can see how each part is interlinked. 

Went back to the CD and listened again after that. Don't recall ever getting so much out of the music in the many times I've previously listened to it. 

It won't help with harmonic or thematic development or even how the voices work together (over my head!); but as a structural guide for the non-musician, brilliant.

The site it comes from is Beethoven-centric - quite a few others like this. Mainly Beethoven but a few other things as well.   

20574-202.jpgR-2795316-1301357390.jpeg.jpgBartok, B.: Kossuth / The Wooden Prince

Sq 2 of the middle one (and a follow up listen to the online colour-coded analysis) - absolute gem from the almost Vaughan Williamsy theme at the end of the exposition of movement 1 through the thrilling motor rhythms and off-kilter accenting of the middle movement to the strange passage in the middle of the finale where the strings seem to slide micro-tonally creating the weirdest effects. 'Kossuth' is very enthralled by Strauss; I like 'The Wooden Prince' better though its still quite an episodic piece.

Just started reading this so I imagine Bartok will be a regular for a few weeks:

bartok-biog-130x180.jpg

Something different but very appropriate as the sun went down:

51zZjup2RzL._SY300_.jpg

No. 1

Edited by A Lark Ascending