Word of South Fest - Tallahassee

jeffcrom

I have taken a break from posting about my own musical activities here, but I have several interesting things coming up. So y'all are going to hear about them.

My saxophone/tuba/congas trio, Three Way Mirror, is performing at the Word of South Festival in Tallahassee on Sunday, April 10 at 3:30. We have a show we have created with Chattanooga poet Laurie Perry Vaughen. It's called Billie Holiday on the Radio, after one of Laurie's poems. The music is composed and improvised to interact with the poems and enhance their impact. It's not (except at a few points) a typical "jazz/poetry" performance. Laurie's poems touch on music, race, the South, and technology, but not in any kind of dry, academic way - they're very personal.

Word of South is a festival which pairs music and literature; it's on April 9 & 10 in Tally. This is their second year, and hopefully they will have worked out some of the kinks. (I went last year as a spectator.) Here's the artist/writer listing.

That night Three Way Mirror will be playing at Waterworks in Tallahassee, doing our usual jazz thing. I invite anyone in the north Florida area to check us (and Word of South) out.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, a third Tallahassee performance has been added. Saturday night, April 9, RoboCromp will be playing at Grasslands Brewery at 8 PM. This is a duet with guitarist Rob Rushin, formerly of Atlanta and now of Tallahassee. RoboCromp is the longest-running ensemble I am part of; Rob and I have played together off and on for 28 years. It won't be Jazz with a capital "J," except at times. Rob calls it "chamber fusion," to which I say, okay, I guess. We play mostly stuff I have written; our "cover tunes" include "Bone" by Steve Lacy and "Ramblin'" by Ornette Coleman, if that tells you anything.