Gene Bertoncini weekly gig...

fasstrack

The guitarist Gene Bertoncini, aged 79, plays every Thursday evening from 8-11 PM at Ryan's Daughter in NYC. Ryan's Daughter is on the Upper East Side, E85th Street between 1st and 2nd Aves (closer to 1st, on the South side of the street).

I went two Thursdays ago, and it happened to be a birthday celebration for Gene's 79th. Several guitarists (Paul Meyers, Freddie Bryant, Ed Laub, Roni Ben-Hur, Pedro Rodriguez, moi)  were called to the stand to sit in. Ron Carter also came and played. Gene is a wonderful guy, and has people participate in his gig every week, accompanying and bringing them all the way out.

I will be going with guitar this Thursday (tomorrow night). Maybe I'll see some members there. I hope so...

Joel

Edited by fasstrack

Gene used to make regular Summer trips to Edmonton, Alberta around Jazz Festival time and it as always a pleasure to see/hear him in various gigs, some quite impromptu in hotel lobbies and the like. I'm not sure what the connection was with Edmonton - friends presumably - but his visits were appreciated (not sure if they are still a regular thing).

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Gene used to make regular Summer trips to Edmonton, Alberta around Jazz Festival time and it as always a pleasure to see/hear him in various gigs, some quite impromptu in hotel lobbies and the like. I'm not sure what the connection was with Edmonton - friends presumably - but his visits were appreciated (not sure if they are still a regular thing).

He's one of the greatest guys around :tup