New K2's

nmorin

For all the attention RVG's get, I've found the Fantasy Jazz K2's in the last few years to be, more often than not, a better sonic upgrade than the RVG's.

Today I picked up two of the new ones -- Evans' "New Jazz Conceptions" and Monk's "Plays Duke Ellington". MAN, OH MAN, does "New Jazz Conceptions" sound great -- a monster improvement.

I've been contemplating getting that Monk as a vinyl OJC, seeing as how there are no bonus tracks on the CD. Would be interested in hearing how the K2 compares...

I've only been able to compare the K2 version and previous version of "Plays Duke Ellington" while at work and fairly superficially. The K2 had a bit more bass and was a tad clearer, but the difference wasn't revelatory -- I always thought the older version was one of Monk's better sounding Riversides, anyway (I'd love to hear a K2 version of "5 by Monk by 5"). If I had a long list of CDs on my wishlist and already owned the OJC of "Plays...", I might hold off on getting it for awhile. The difference between the new vs. previous versions of Evans' "New Jazz Conceptions" was much, much more impressive.

I've been contemplating getting that Monk as a vinyl OJC, seeing as how there are no bonus tracks on the CD. Would be interested in hearing how the K2 compares...

I've only been able to compare the K2 version and previous version of "Plays Duke Ellington" while at work and fairly superficially. The K2 had a bit more bass and was a tad clearer, but the difference wasn't revelatory -- I always thought the older version was one of Monk's better sounding Riversides, anyway (I'd love to hear a K2 version of "5 by Monk by 5"). If I had a long list of CDs on my wishlist and already owned the OJC of "Plays...", I might hold off on getting it for awhile. The difference between the new vs. previous versions of Evans' "New Jazz Conceptions" was much, much more impressive.

Thanks for the info!

For all the attention RVG's get, I've found the Fantasy Jazz K2's in the last few years to be, more often than not, a better sonic upgrade than the RVG's.

Today I picked up two of the new ones -- Evans' "New Jazz Conceptions" and Monk's "Plays Duke Ellington". MAN, OH MAN, does "New Jazz Conceptions" sound great -- a monster improvement.

I agree with you about the K2's. They really do a wonderful job with the remastering in the vast majority of cases. Glad to hear the new Bill Evans is vastly improved. I am looking forward to that one.

I'd love to hear a K2 version of "5 by Monk by 5"

This album is available on a hybrid SACD by Analogue Productions

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=APSA1150

I'd like to see Fantasy releasing more SACDs instead of K2 CDs. One album I've upgraded from K2 to SACD so far (Art Pepper + Eleven) is noticibly improved, also on the CD layer.

Edited by Claude

Fantasy has announced 10 more SACD titles for August this year. It includes the Cannonball Adderley album which has just been reissued on a K2 CD :huh:

- Cannonball Adderley with Milt Jackson - Things Are Getting Better (Riverside)

- Chet Baker - In New York (Riverside)

- Bill Evans Trio - Explorations (Riverside)

- Thelonious Monk - Monk's Music (Riverside)

- Wes Montgomery Trio - Wes Montgomery Trio (Riverside)

- Isaac Hayes - The Isaac Hayes Movement (Stax)

- Merl Saunders & Jerry Garcia - Live at Keystone (Fantasy)

- Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Boy Named Charlie Brown (Original Soundtrack Recording) (Fantasy)

- The Modern Jazz Quartet - Django (Prestige)

- Sonny Rollins - The Sound of Sonny (Prestige)

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/new...number=16390314

Thanks for the tip, Tjobbe. I suppose it's this Ebay store?

music-special-sale

The shipping rate per order (3 Euro within Germany, 8 Euro within the EU, can include several discs) makes the SACDs as or more expensive than buying them from Amazon.de, where they cost 17 Euro and shipping is free to german speaking countries (which includes Luxembourg).

Thanks for the tip, Tjobbe. I suppose it's this Ebay store?

music-special-sale

The shipping rate per order (3 Euro within Germany, 8 Euro within the EU, can include several discs) makes the SACDs as or more expensive than buying them from Amazon.de, where they cost 17 Euro and shipping is free to german speaking countries (which includes Luxembourg).

yes Claude, this is their ebay shop....(they sometimes do have more good prices on Boxes like the Sonny Rollins or the Bill Evans K2 Village Vanguard one)

@couw: yes, 2001 has them too but not the very last batch, witht them you normally need to wait some time before they offer them for discounted prices.

Cheers, Tjobbe

I don't know if these April 27 SACD releases have already been posted:

*Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners - SACD hybrid (Fantasy/Riverside) from 1956

*Oscar Peterson/Stephane Grappelli/Joe Pass - Skol - SACD hybrid (Fantasy/Pablo) with Niels-Henning Orsted Pederson & Mickey Roker; from 1979

(from jazzmatazz)

Edited by Claude