Dave Liebman

A Lark Ascending

I really like his big band album "BEYOND THE LINE".

"Hiroshima Memorial" is great, the music is very descriptive.

The only song on that album that wasn't composed by Liebman is "Sing Sing Sing" which gets a brilliant treatment from the master arranger Jim McNeely. The chase between Lieb and the band on that track is amazing.

I like the way this band uses avant garde elements and free interplay without exaggerating.

bigband.jpg

I saw Leibman a couple years ago at a small club down the street from my house; about 10-15 people there :( . He had one of the local tenor players sit in for a few tunes. I chatted with him for a bit after the show; nice guy. Too bad the show wasn't better attended.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I had my eye on this auction for Liebman's "What It Is" for a couple of days. It's gone way to high for my budget though.

Is "What It Is" comparable to the other two Liebman/Scofield collaborations ("Doin It Again" and "If Only They Knew")? Wish it was easier to find. Being a Columbia release, maybe it will be reiussed someday.

I have been to two David Liebman concerts where he was just great. He and Richard Beirach opened for the Bill Evans Trio in 1976 and blew Evans off the stage--Liebman and Beirach were consistently creative and inspired. There was much discussion by many audience members in the lobby after the concert about how Liebman and Beirach were so surprisingly great.

I also saw him as the featured soloist with Elvin Jones in 1979 and he was incredible--consistently on fire with exciting, interesting, intense solos.

I find some of his albums more engaging to listen to than others. I have always enjoyed this one;

davidsh6977095397140620.jpg

Has anyone heard that concert recording by Quest that just came out on Hathut?

Got it on order from Jazz Loft. Should be here any day now. Has a version of Ornette's Lonely Woman - can't wait.

I have it. :tup

Plays wood floote on Lonely Woman.