Henry Mancini Discusses his Film Score Albums

Teasing the Korean

I thought this was interesting, from his autobiography Did They Mention the Music:

“The albums were made up of the most melodic material from the films. A lot of the dramatic music – which is what I really loved to do and really thought I had a feeling for – was left out … I used the source music that was the common denominator for my record-buying audience. It may have hurt my reputation as a writer of serious film music. To this day, I would love to have an album of some of those scores as they were heard in the film. The albums gave me a reputation, even among producers, as a writer of light comedy and light suspense, and at that time it was not easy for them to think of me for the more dramatic assignments. I did that to myself.”

Not a movie, but I still love Hank's "Peter Gunn" album. It was my first LP.

There are some fine players on that: Pete Candoli (trumpet), Ted Nash (alto saxophone), Ronnie Lang (alto and baritone saxophones), Dick Nash (trombone), Victor Feldman (vibes)  and Johnny T Williams (piano). My favorite track is the last one: "Not From Dixie". Ronnie Lang has a nice, light sound on the baritone saxophone. A feature of the ensembles is that there is no tenor saxophone.

1 hour ago, Shrdlu said:

Not a movie, but I still love Hank's "Peter Gunn" album. It was my first LP.

There are some fine players on that: Pete Candoli (trumpet), Ted Nash (alto saxophone), Ronnie Lang (alto and baritone saxophones), Dick Nash (trombone), Victor Feldman (vibes)  and Johnny T Williams (piano). My favorite track is the last one: "Not From Dixie". Ronnie Lang has a nice, light sound on the baritone saxophone. A feature of the ensembles is that there is no tenor saxophone.

Great album.  The stereo is slathered in reverb.  I have always wondered if there are still mono tapes without the reverb added.  The mono is much better for this reason.

The second Peter Gunn album overall is not as good, but there are a few amazing tracks, notably "Blue Steel."

Yes, "More Music From Peter Gunn" is not anywhere as good as the first album. It is worth getting, for "Goofin' At The Coffee House".

I have the TV show here. Various musicians, including Pete Candoli, appear on camera. The music at "Mother's" is not live: it is pre-recorded.

I don't mind the sound on the first album.