Things To Do In New York

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, 7/4. Have you eaten there? I've never tried it.

BTW, ua, I have one more recommendation on cheap-ish Italian restaurants for you: Piccolo Angolo on Hudson and Jane. However, I've never eaten at this place - I only noticed that it's in Manhattan and that it got a very high food rating and low cost rating in the 2004 Zagat. BTW, I highly recommend picking that book up - it's only $13 and it's very rarely lead me astray. Just be very skeptical of any high food ratings for places near Columbia or NYU - the college kids tend to be very easily impressed and seem to inflate the ratings of anything near their dorms. In fact, that's the only way I've ever been burned by Zagat - otherwise I've found it to be spot-on.

Another real good Italian that's pretty reasonable is Il Bagado (sp?) in the East Village. Check the Zagat's guide on this one as well. I've eaten there several times - very authentic, freshly prepared dishes.

Il Bagatto - it got a 24 for food, which is VERY high. They got slammed on service, but the est. cost is just $30, which easily qualifies as a bargain in Manhattan. I'm going to have to try this one out myself!

Now that you mentioned "Italian" and "East Village" in the same sentence, I've remembered Lil' Frankies on First Ave. between First and Second. The pizza isn't the greatest, but the Italian dishes are excellent. They make this salmon baked in a paper bag dish that's amazing.

Edited by J Larsen

For mainstream jazz(very few imports), J&R on Park Row has lots of sales, so you can snag a good bargain on a lot of stuff there. I have lots of discs I got there for $6.99! It's right by the City Hall station on the 'R' train, which runs right to Times Square. Your girlfriend may want to shop, and Century 21 is just a few blocks away from J&R.

Downtown Music Gallery is a very good store, especially for the more adventurous and imported stuff.

Il Bagatto - it got a 24 for food, which is VERY high. They got slammed on service, but the est. cost is just $30, which easily qualifies as a bargain in Manhattan. I'm going to have to try this one out myself!

Now that you mentioned "Italian" and "East Village" in the same sentence, I've remembered Lil' Frankies on First Ave. between First and Second. The pizza isn't the greatest, but the Italian dishes are excellent. They make this salmon baked in a paper bag dish that's amazing.

It's a little small and crowded, but the service isn't that bad. Lot's of 20-something waiters working on their acting chops. The food is excellent though. Not fancy, more rustic/peasant style. Their pastas and fish dishes are great!

Before or after the Met, hang out in Central Park. Bring a frisbee. The zoo is very good. Try the carousel, and check out the vibe near the fountain on 72nd. Also walk the Ramble, it's mellow. A small cooler w/ drinks and sandwiches/treats from Zabar's is a good idea. There is usually some good free music at Rumsey Playfield starting later in the Spring (May).