Austin Record Convention....

I skipped the last two but I got a free pass from someone (and a little spare change) so I figure I'll at least check it out. I'll be there most of the afternoon Saturday so, if you make it down, give me a call and we can meet up. Here's the official website.

Brandon

EDIT: Seeign as Organissimo appears on Google, I'm taking my phone number off now that I'm back home.

Edited by Brandon Burke

The haul (all LPs):

* Horace Parlan Happy Frame of Mind

* Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage

* Kenny Dorham - Trompeta Toccata

* Max Roach - Trio featiring the Legendary Hasaan

* John Fahey - Vol 6: Days Have Gone By

I forgot that I already had the Parlan as part of the Booker Ervin 2-fer. The Roach/Hasaan is a white label. And the Fahey was all of $6 because the guy who was selling it thought it was a jazz record.

Haul, all vinyl, all unplayed, one five dollars, the rest three:

Blowin' Gold--John Klemmer--Chess two lp that also has tracks from Eruptions and All the Children Cried, unplayed

Joe Sullivan Piano--Folkways (solos, also two quartets with Bechet, one accompanying Stella Brooks and one with a Yank Lawson unit); this was the five buck one, beautiful release

Capitol jazz Classics, Volume Six--Metronome All Stars 12/21/47, International Jazzmen 3/30/45, Metronome All Stars 1/23/51, Louis Bellson Just Jazz All Stars 2/52

Dixieland Now and Then: Jimmy McPartland's Chicago Rompers (with Dichenson, Freeman and Morello!) and Paul Barbarin's New Orleans Stompers (with Humphrey and Barker!) ---Jazztone

Where you been? :) Glad you're digging them!

Seemed a few less vendors this year and it was easier to get around. I really had fun looking at the 10"s at Euclid's stalls. I love that old packaging, and saw some covers that I had never seen before of material I've listened to for ages. . . .

Edited by jazzbo

I'm plagued with regret that I didn't get two items (though I would have had to come back yesterday because I didn't have enough cash on hand Saturday, and I would have had a whole different Sunday and this week if I had gone back). One was Slim Gaillards last recording date, the one with Budd Johnson, on cd. The other was a sealed three lp box of fifteen minute shows for radio about Ellington; there was a selection or two played, and then an interview with folk like Mercer Ellington and Joya Sherrill. . . there was quite a bit of Joya Sherrill interviewing going on. . . I wished I'd just had an extra 35 bucks when I had it in my hands!

The haul (all LPs):

I forgot that I already had the Parlan as part of the Booker Ervin 2-fer. The Roach/Hasaan is a white label. And the Fahey was all of $6 because the guy who was selling it thought it was a jazz record.

I love Days Have Gone By.

The haul (all LPs):

I forgot that I already had the Parlan as part of the Booker Ervin 2-fer.  The Roach/Hasaan is a white label.  And the Fahey was all of $6 because the guy who was selling it thought it was a jazz record.

No shit. I remember liking it when I first heard it but it really of crept up on me over the past couple of years. I usually say The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death or Death Chants, Waltzes, and Military Breakdowns when people ask but I keep coming back to this one like an old friend. you can imagine how pleased I was to find it on Takoma for all of six dollars.

BTW: My LP copy of Transfiguration was purchased for me by my last girlfriend for one whole dollar at a library book sale about three years ago (and it still had the stapled booklet of fictional liner notes by Fahey!).

Where you been? :) Glad you're digging them!

Seemed a few less vendors this year and it was easier to get around. I really had fun looking at the 10"s at Euclid's stalls. I love that old packaging, and saw some covers that I had never seen before of material I've listened to for ages. . . .

I meant to reply to this earlier, Lon. The Euclid booth was indeed ridiculous. Tons of good stuff. Overpriced, as usual, but cool all the same.

The haul (all LPs):

I forgot that I already had the Parlan as part of the Booker Ervin 2-fer.  The Roach/Hasaan is a white label.  And the Fahey was all of $6 because the guy who was selling it thought it was a jazz record.

No shit. I remember liking it when I first heard it but it really of crept up on me over the past couple of years. I usually say The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death or Death Chants, Waltzes, and Military Breakdowns when people ask but I keep coming back to this one like an old friend. you can imagine how pleased I was to find it on Takoma for all of six dollars.

BTW: My LP copy of Transfiguration was purchased for me by my last girlfriend for one whole dollar at a library book sale about three years ago (and it still had the stapled booklet of fictional liner notes by Fahey!).

Have you picked up the most recent "Best of, Vol.2 1964-1983" That Fantasy just released? It has some unreleased items from 1991 [ making the title appear somewhat silly ] that are excellent. A couple are versions of old songs, and another new item. Worth the price for me, because I will have a tough time finding albums like "Railroad" for a decent price...