Larry Young on Dexter's Deck

TALKIN ABOUT GREEEEAZZZEE!!! 
Larry Young's comping and solo on Dexter's Deck from Forrest Fire is a master class in greasy funky subtle wonderful brilliant intelligent musical awesomeness. The way he constructs the solo off of a simple theme and slowly builds up to such a high energy, foot stompin' groove is just fascinating.

And all that at age 19! Talkin' about LARRY YOUNG!

What about that Jimmy Forrest too eh?  A pairing made for wax!

Edited by Stevie Mclean

Personally, I feel that the tenor player who worked best with Larry Young was Booker Ervin. The session that came out as bonus on a Pony Poindexter CD was a cool mix of traditional and advanced. I think they should be better known.

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, mhatta said:

Personally, I feel that the tenor player who worked best with Larry Young was Booker Ervin. The session that came out as bonus on a Pony Poindexter CD was a cool mix of traditional and advanced. I think they should be better known.

Yeah, at that point in time Ervin and Young's inside out styles really paired quite well. When Young and Forrest recorded Forrest Fire (3 years prior) Young was still quite JOS-inspired which gave him a forward looking but still relatively straight ahead sound that worked very well with Forrest's modern tough-tenor style. It's cool to see Young work with a variety of soloists as his conception evolved through time.

Edited by Stevie Mclean