-
Posts
515 -
Joined
-
Last visited
About mhatta
- Birthday 07/31/1979
Contact Methods
- MSN
-
Website URL
http://www.mhatta.org/
-
ICQ
0
Profile Information
-
Gender
Male
-
Location
Tokyo, Japan
-
Interests
Jazz Piano in general, Bebop, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk.
mhatta's Achievements
Community Regular (8/14)
-
Rare
-
Rare
-
-
Rare
-
Rare
Recent Badges
-
Al Haig recorded a snippet of Rachmaninoff's Rapsodie sur un thème de Paganini on his 1977 recording of "Parisian Thoroughfare." Bud Powell recorded Chopin's Prélude Op. 28, No. 20, though it was a private recording made by Francis Paudras. I think Phineas Newborn Jr. used part of Ravel's Sonatine in the intro to 'Lush Life'. There are rumors that Phineas recorded some Scriabin in his later years, but I have not been able to confirm them. Well, also Bob James covered Mussorgsky's 'Night on Bald Mountain'... Ah, I've just realized that this was supposed to be "in a classical music setting." Sorry about that! I already typed it all out, so I'll leave it here anyway. Russian composer Nikolai Kapustin was apparently a former jazz pianist; although he incorporated jazz harmony and idioms, he was essentially writing classical pieces. Well, sounds like Chick Corea a bit...
-
Actually, I was torn about including this one in my five as well — I just wasn't sure it quite qualified as jazz. It's a wonderful record all the same.
-
A lot of what Tzadik puts out isn't to my taste, but I do think some of its more conservative jazz releases are genuinely good. It would be a shame if they were overlooked because of the label's "avant-garde" image. Some of my old favorites. Thankfully, Apple Music still has them: Camp Songs / Ben Perowsky The Storyteller / Uri Gurvich Midnight Minyan / Paul Shapiro Trouble: The Jamie Saft Trio Plays Bob Dylan Flutter / Otomo Yoshihide's New Jazz Quintet
-
Cecil Taylor Live at the KiMo Theater Albuquerque 1979
mhatta replied to cliffpeterson's topic in New Releases
One track is available on Bandcamp. Sounds like not only is the performance great, the recording quality sounds excellent too. Looking forward to it. https://ceciltaylorunit.bandcamp.com/track/kimo-b1 -
I'm not certain, but it sounds to me like a heavily slowed-down version of the first (1936) recording of Caravan by Barney Bigard And His Jazzopators. https://youtu.be/M17eZcf_hOw?si=G7msgL8E3CT2ByVb
-
I'm glad the great music finally saw the light of day, but as someone who bought Joe's Milestone 8-disc box set long ago, I can't help but wonder why it wasn't included. Then I took another look at the box set, and it was titled "The Milestone Years." So that's why it didn't say "Complete" or such...
-
As far as I know, I don't think those three people have ever all been together at the same time. Sato's essay, written in 1989, does mention being trained by Watanabe and Miyazawa, but it's not entirely clear whether he was put through the wringer by them "at the same time." According to Sato (born 1941), he was scouted for George Kawaguchi's band at age 18, which would have been around 1959 or 1960. In 1958, George Kawaguchi reformed his band, Big Four Plus One -- whose lineup had been unstable for several years before that -- settling on Hidehiko "Sleepy" Matsumoto, Sadao Watanabe, Masao Yagi on piano, and Shinya Kimura on bass. However, it seems the band broke up the following year, in 1959. So while there are recordings of Sadao Watanabe playing in George Kawaguchi's band, I'm not aware of any recordings featuring Akira Miyazawa in the lineup. I suspect he was there around 1957, during the period when the members hadn't yet been fixed. https://youtu.be/UKZvCndXV7w?si=pIfUYiN9CRPF55TR
-
I was in San Francisco from late July to early August, and instead of Black Cat, I ended up going to Keys Jazz Bistro and SFJAZZ. I remember seeing Eric at the San Jose Jazz Fest back in 2018 or 2019, and if I recall correctly, it wasn't Farnsworth but Eric who was telling jokes like a stand-up comedian the whole time—it felt like he talked even longer than he played. For better or worse, maybe that’s just what you have to do to make a living as an entertainer in this day and age. Keyon Harrold is supposed to be coming to Blue Note Tokyo in September, so I'm really looking forward to seeing him.
-
In the set I saw, they played 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' and it really got the crowd going. They bookended it with Butch Morris–style conduction funk at the start and finish, sandwiching a Summer of Love medley in between.
-
This time I saw a group called Burnt Sugar the Arkestra Chamber at the Joe Henderson Lab. The Joe Henderson Lab was smaller than I expected, but the performance was great, and it was nice to see the musicians up close. Maybe because it was early on a Friday, the audience skewed older, and I got the feeling I might have been the youngest person there…
-
Tubby Hayes did travel to the US occasionally, but unlike Dizzy Reece or Victor Feldman, he never fully relocated there, so it's understandable that he's less well known in the US. In Japan, he's popular because most of his recordings have been reissued on CD. Tubby Hayes is a musician with little gap between his good and bad days, so I think you can enjoy pretty much anything from the '50s and '60s (at least as far as his own playing goes). Personally, I think Tubby's true value comes through in his live performances, and I'm especially fond of the 1962 albums "Down in the Village" and "Late Spot at Scott's" (I personally prefer the latter for its wilder, more unrestrained feel), as well as "Mexican Green" from 1967 (a studio album) and its live counterpart of sorts, "For Members Only." Once the '70s arrived, his health seems to have deteriorated rapidly due to drug addiction and heart trouble, but even so, if you listen to the live bootleg-ish album "Symphony," you can hear him playing full of inspiration despite the poor sound quality. The Jazz Couriers, the group he formed with Ronnie Scott in the '50s, are also quite good — the live album "Some of My Best Friends" is excellent.
-
Two weeks ago I was in San Francisco and caught a show at SFJAZZ for the first time — I was surprised by how similar the lineup was to Blue Note Tokyo's. BN Tokyo has been around for more than 30 years now (I'm not entirely sure how it relates to the other Blue Note franchises), and I go there pretty often. It's basically got a high-end supper-club vibe, with a lot of acts leaning toward the popular side, but last week the Maria Schneider Orchestra did a five-day residency there, and it was fantastic. These days Schneider mostly either conducts local orchestras or performs in concert halls, so it was great to see her in an intimate club setting. I might be a little biased, but I think it's wonderful that you can catch a performance of that caliber for around $70 plus food and drinks.
-
DiskUnion has several branches, and the ones specializing in jazz are JazzTOKYO in Ochanomizu and Shinjyuku Jazz Kan. Two big Jazz brick-and-mortar stores, possibly the biggest in the world. Since DU's inventory is spread across multiple stores (branches that don't deal much in jazz can sometimes have secondhand stock lying around), if you have a clear idea of what you're looking for and can read Japanese to some degree, it's a good idea to register as a member on their website and search their stock online. Tower Records still exists, but it doesn't carry that much jazz. RecoFan is in Shibuya, though it's moved from where the old store used to be. There should also be one in Akihabara. It's not that Japanese people are especially into physical media, but vinyl is popular worldwide again, and CDs tend to end up for sale as people pass away, so I imagine the inventory is pretty abundant. Also, secondhand CDs that aren't available on streaming tend to be popular. Anyway, enjoy your stay in Tokyo!
-
To be honest, I’d never actually heard it before (strictly speaking, I think I had heard it, but I didn’t remember a thing). Since everyone was talking about it, I gave it a good listen this time, but honestly, to my ears now, I find it boring. Not that I think it’s bad, though. Still, I think I understand why Alfred Lion released this. This kind of slow, sweet performance must have sold well back then. The arrangement feels more like Atlantic R&B than the usual Blue Note jazz. I suppose part of it is because it’s from Ray Charles’ repertoire…
_forumlogo.png.a607ef20a6e0c299ab2aa6443aa1f32e.png)