Slide Hampton and the Hampton Sisters

rachel

Here are some pics of Slide Hampton and the Hampton Sisters at the tribute concert in November here in Indianapolis. Unfortunately my meager scanner does not do them justice, but I still wanted to share them w/everyone. These were taken by our own sheldonm; he graciously gave these to me so I could have them signed by Slide and the Sisters last Friday at the Jazz Kitchen. It was a terrific show that was only made better by having signed momentos of these great musicians. Thanks Mark!

Edited by rachel

As far as the performances go, the Hampton Sisters were great; they performed many classics such as "Route 66", "Kansas City" and "Summertime" (my personal favorite). There's still a lot of fire left in these women!!! Aletra Hampton is 88 years old and Virtue is 82 or 83, but still wonderful to see and hear. Just last November, they released their first recording after about 60 or so years of performing.

Slide was excellent as usual, playing with a local rhythm section of Steve Allee on Piano, Rob Dixon on Tenor, Kenny Phelps on Drums and Frank Smith on Bass. Slide played several classics/standards plus an extended verion of Miles/Evan's "Someday My Prince Will Come" which was a real crown favorite. The Jazz Kitchen is not a huge club by any means but it was packed for both shows.

This was my first time meeting Rachel in person and was much fun talking about jazz and other topics, hope to do it again soon!

Thanks to Rachel for posting my photographs ;) !!!

Mark

Favorite part of the show: Slide saying, "This next song is entitled 'Someday My Prince Will Come', and I'm dedicating it to ........ my big sister, Aletra." As Mark mentioned, she's 88 years old.

I guess good men sometimes *are* hard to find... :lol:

Second favorite part of the show: Watching Virtue watching Slide, her head bobbing and her face beaming...

Edited by rachel