Fugazi - official live releases

John B

I know there are a few fans of Fugazi on the board, so I thought I'd post something I just saw. Fugazi records all of their shows and are releasing 20 of the directly. I am very excited about this, as I've wanted some high quality live Fugazi for years and the price they are charging is fantastic.

From their website:

http://www.fugaziliveseries.com/

"For many years, Fugazi has made a point of taping our live shows. We started out using a simple cassette recorder, moved on to a digital audio tape recorder (DAT) and finally just burned straight on to CDs. Our past attempts at releasing a definitive live show proved fruitless as we could never settle on performances we all felt represented the band at it's best. Instead it was decided that some day we would try to find an easy way to make as many of the tapes available to people as we could. Most shows are on one disc and will be available for $8. Longer sets were put on 2 discs and will be available for $10.

This site marks the beginning of that concept - a basic testing of the waters to see what, if any, interest there is. We have digitally transferred an initial sampling of tapes from our archives and for every order we receive, we will burn a CD copy of the show requested using a generic cover with concert information and a track listing.

These are very much the original recordings without any attempt to correct for things like volume changes, strange mixing effects, or the occasionally out-of-tune guitar. Though the sound quality on these tapes does vary, if a show was too poorly recorded it didn't make the cut. There will be more shows added as interest indicates and time permits but for now here's twenty. "

That must be it, the site was working earlier. If you look at the main page of the Dischord site they provide a link to the live fugazi site. Hopefully they will fix it soon. I printed out all of the info I needed and will be ordering four of the 20 shows tomorrow.

Which one did you order, Stefan?

as of 4:00 (est) the link has been fixed.

Edited by John B

I have a video of their first concert. Pretty intense stuff. Guy wasn't playing guitar - he just jumped on stage to do a little singing. Sorry, I can't make copies for anyone - I'd like to say I would but I know that in practice I would never actually get around to doing it. I have videos of a few other DC shows too - one where they had a woman singing for a few songs, another that was their first anniversary show (I believe), and another that was outside on a very cold day, near the White House from the time of the first Gulf War. They were all great concerts. I've seen them in person a few times as well. They're good performers. They never seem to get tired.

I have a video of their first concert. Pretty intense stuff. Guy wasn't playing guitar - he just jumped on stage to do a little singing. Sorry, I can't make copies for anyone - I'd like to say I would but I know that in practice I would never actually get around to doing it. I have videos of a few other DC shows too - one where they had a woman singing for a few songs, another that was their first anniversary show (I believe), and another that was outside on a very cold day, near the White House from the time of the first Gulf War. They were all great concerts. I've seen them in person a few times as well. They're good performers. They never seem to get tired.

Their first show is one of the 20 they have up for sale. I might pick it up at some point, but it is not one of my first four choices. I'd love to see those videos someday, but I'm much more interested in the cds, as I'll listen to them a lot more than I would ever watch a video.

I've seen Fugazi live two or three times over the years and always had a great time at the show.

Just received my order yesterday. I only bought the Sylvan Theater 93 concert, and it came as a two disc set, with nice tray graphics and track listings. The sound was as I expected -- a bit harsh, but hey, this is a punk concert! Sometimes the vocals or the instruments come and go, probably because they moved away from the mikes. It was recorded from a DAT machine, and overall I am pleased with it. A smoking concert from their heyday. I'll probably go after one of their later concerts next.

• 3 weeks later...

up for some air...

I received half of my order tonight and have almost finished listening to the 12/28/87 show. The music is fantastic, the sound is better than I had hoped for and it is a blast hearing older versions of Repeater era songs as well as older tunes that never made it to album.

I'll be ordering more of these sets in a few weeks. So far this series gets a big :tup from me.

• 1 year later...

up again, as Fugazi has added ten more shows to the list.

The newly added second set comprises of the following shows; Gainesville, FL - March 1990, Sydney, Australia - October 1991, Bordeaux, France - May 1992, Washington, DC - August 1993, Kansas City, KA - August 1993, Geneva, Switzerland - October 1999, New Orleans, LA - March 2002, Birmingham, England - October 2002, Leeds, England - October 2002 and London, England - November 2002.

The November 2002 show is the last show Fugazi played to date.

Time to blow through some of the money sitting in my paypal account.

They are a mixed bag on both sites.

I have three or four so far from the official site and the quality ranges from excellent to disappointing. One of the sets never gets any listening as the sound quality is a real barrier to my enjoying the show.

The 5/7/1999 show in Ireland (vol. 20) is, imo, a dud.

12/28/1987 is fantastic. Great sound quality and a really raw, early mix of songs.

10/8/1990 is a good one, too.

The Irving Plaza show at the site you linked to blows all of these away for sound quality, though. I would definitely grab that one if you are a fan and have a fast connection.