PRINCE 2004 USA TOUR

Guest ariceffron

BETWEEN DINNER TIME AND MIDNIGHT LAST NIGHT I MADE A FUCKING 10 CD PRINCE MUSICOLOGY 2004 WEST COAST TOUR BOX SET.  I EVEN TOOK THE LIBERTY TO MAKE A PRINCE-RELATED COVER FOR THE BOX.  IT IS THE FUNKIEST BOX IVE GOT SINCE THE STAX BOX FOR SURE!  ALL THANKS TO KING UBU WHOEVER THE HELL YOU ARE!!!@?!!

Swiss history student, ardent admirer of dada, surrealism, Duchamp etc, thus logically of Alfred Jarry, as well, there comes my handle... then a self-declared jazz addict (ask my girlfriend, she'd say my declaration is spot-on - and no, she doesn't like it...)

now back to some serious funky stuff B-)

you forgot to mention

'& generous to a tee'

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BETWEEN DINNER TIME AND MIDNIGHT LAST NIGHT I MADE A FUCKING 10 CD PRINCE MUSICOLOGY 2004 WEST COAST TOUR BOX SET.  I EVEN TOOK THE LIBERTY TO MAKE A PRINCE-RELATED COVER FOR THE BOX.  IT IS THE FUNKIEST BOX IVE GOT SINCE THE STAX BOX FOR SURE!  ALL THANKS TO KING UBU WHOEVER THE HELL YOU ARE!!!@?!!

Swiss history student, ardent admirer of dada, surrealism, Duchamp etc, thus logically of Alfred Jarry, as well, there comes my handle... then a self-declared jazz addict (ask my girlfriend, she'd say my declaration is spot-on - and no, she doesn't like it...)

now back to some serious funky stuff B-)

you forgot to mention

'& generous to a tee'

just spreadin' the goodies, that's all - sort of a philosophy of life...

ubu :)

Am I jealous or what? :(

Hey, can anyone give the line up of the bands on all those downloads? I see Candy and Maceo, but have no idea who's in the current band (my favorite line up until recently was the one with Sonny T and Michael B etc... that could change, once I get to know these shows better!)

thanks,

ubu

On Thursday, September 9, 2004 we were gathered at the Oakland Arena, home of the Golden State Warriors, waiting for our fearless Purple Warrior of Funk.  It would be foolish to write off Prince as a pop star obsessed with style because it would ignore the substance.  The free Musicology CD handed out to each concert go-er says it all:  Produced, arranged, composed & performed by Prince. 

Prince is that rare package of big talent married to riveting stage presence.  He is an extraordinarily talented “entertainer” who gives you so much to see and hear; you barely know what to look at or listen to first.  After the stunning dance moves, struts, primps, and spins you are left with someone who creates raw funk played by an eight-piece, carefully assembled, powerful band.  The band was tighter than a miniskirt hugging a streetwalker’s behind.  The band line up was:

Rhonda Smith Bass

John Blackwell Drums

Chance Howard Keyboards

Renato Neto Keyboards

Maceo Parker Saxophone

Candy Dulfer Saxophone

Greg Boyer Trombone

Mike Scott Guitar

But let’s start at the beginning.  The concert opened to a darkened, midnight blue stage and the deep, resonant steady clang from a gong—a gothic preamble to a funky roar when Morris Day and the Time hit the stage.  Day did his trademark preening in the mirror held by sidekick Jerome before the band took off on a throaty rumble that could have disabled a pacemaker.  Day is a good vocalist and the Time can kick it but the synchronized choreography with the guitar, Jerome and Day had the crowd stomping and shouting.  Day sang a ballad near the end of the set clad in a full-length fur coat draped around his shoulders.  The pimp factor was in high gear.  The set closed with my favorite, “Jungle Love,” that Day kicks off with a scream midway between a cackle and a monkey’s cry.  Oh, bidee, oh, bidee oh.

The set change lasted about 15 minutes, time for everyone to catch their breath and for the folks in the next row down to go grab another round of beer, nachos, and fries.  These people ate and drank during the entire show. 

The stage went dark and the real roller coaster ride started.  Prince came out in white pants, a blue asymmetrical coat, and a white shirt.  The stage was in the center of the floor with four runways for Prince to go out and salute each section of the audience.  He launched into a Purple Rain medley.  He ended with Let’s Get Crazy, with that screaming guitar climax.  Prince waved his arm at the band and told the crowd “This is a REAL band.”  He exhorted the crowd to support these kinds of musicians and told us there would be no lip-synching tonight.

And that band.  I can’t say enough about the band.  Loud but not so loud that I had to put in earplugs.  Maceo added his old school funk and jazz to the set and the wild man passing himself off as a drummer was great.  Ms. Dulfer was very good on saxophone but she was playing more pop than Maceo. A couple of times she got serious and I wanted to hear more of that from her.  Ms. Smith on bass was terrific, but Mr. Neto was the stuff on keyboards.  He played a couple of solos during wardrobe changes that showed he was more than a pop-playing keyboardist.  Neto backed up Maceo on a tribute to Ray Charles, just the two of them.  Maceo singing, and blowing a little—he had on the shades, he had the signature Charles growl in his singing.  It was sweet.

Prince has had women in his bands going back to the old days and whether his purpose was to provide eye candy or whatever, he has managed to showcase some really talented women over the years. 

The next segment of the set had Prince all in red, bathed in red lighting, seated on a stool with an acoustic guitar.  He opened playing solo with, what else, Red Corvette.  He gently swiveled around in a slow circle on the stool singing to everyone at some point.  After the first couple songs, the band came in.  This part of the show was wonderful.  It was intimate and he presented his older work with a new interpretation.  Eventually he shed the guitar and went back to moving across every inch of the stage.  He pouted, he mugged for the closed circuit camera, and he led the band through one sizzling number after another.  He played some 1970’s R&B, some Chaka Kahn, weaving it in and out of his own music.  It may have been this segment when he played a lovely deconstructed version of When Doves Cry. 

During the last segment, and yet another wardrobe change, Prince did a too-funky bass duet with Ms. Smith.  I’m told he was playing some Stanley Clarke but I didn’t catch it.  My only regret was that he didn’t play the electric guitar as much as I would have liked.  He mostly sang and danced.  You could tell he was having a good time and the audience ate it up.  I’m not proud, I brought my soupspoon.  He played tracks off his current CD in this segment.  At different times, he brought people up on stage from the audience to dance.  It gave a real party atmosphere to have folks on stage dancing and singing.  Most of the audience stood and danced for most of the show.  At the end, of this segment he, said his goodbyes, and then the begging started for the encore.  The begging lasted over 10 minutes and he finally came out swathed in purple lighting in another killer white suit singing more Purple Rain songs and then closed with the title track.  The last notes hung in the air long after the band left the stage. 

All in all, he was on stage for two plus hours total.  Add another hour for the Time and we had well over three hours of the funky good stuff.  It was an extraordinary concert.  I was impressed with the body of his work and how he reinvented so much of it for 2004.  I think the tour is about over—tonight is another concert at the Arena and tomorrow night he’ll be back in San Jose (he did some shows there back in June).  I had a blast.  I was hoarse from shouting, my arms ached from clapping, and I had one of those glorious moments of “I’m so lucky to be here, right here, right now.”

I'm listening to the first disc from San Jose right now and it seems like all songs are cut off before they end. Is this true of all shows on this site?

Not to me. I'm listening to one. Did you remember to put 0 (zero) seconds between each track when you burned the disc?

I'm listening to the first disc from San Jose right now and it seems like all songs are cut off before they end.  Is this true of all shows on this site?

Not to me. I'm listening to one. Did you remember to put 0 (zero) seconds between each track when you burned the disc?

No, I haven't burned them yet. I'm just listening to the mp3's off of my hard drive.

For example: track 5 off of disc one from San Jose is 2:05 long and seems to cut off in the middle of a song. Track 6 doesn't seem to pick up where track 5 ends. It sounds like, even if this is a medley, there is some music missing.

Does anyone else hear this problem using tracks 5 and 6 as examples?

• 3 weeks later...