Cannonball on the Roof

jpmosu

Adderley's *Fiddler on the Roof*: anyone check this out?

I picked this up last week, but it wasn't a top priority because I received the Weston Mosaic and the new Keith Jarrett, too.

But I played the Cannonball last night, and it was pretty hot. EXCELLENT playing all around (Charles Lloyd, in particular), and the arrangements were not schmaltzy at all (an irrational fear, perhaps, but I'm not a huge fan of the musical).

Anyway, I give it a hearty recommendation, and wonder what others think.

john

Yep, I know the LP as well and echo Lon's comments. The tunes are a bit shorter than I'd like, but that's the Capitol Control at work no doubt. The actual playing is indeed fine.

You can hear an elongated (9 minutes, and sans Lloyd at that!) version of "Fiddler on the Roof" (the song) on RADIO NIGHTS, available now on Hyena. Fiddler or no, that's a good one to get too.

I've heard the original lp which I like a helluva lot more than I expected to. My question for those who have picked up the new cd is: How are the bonus tracks?

For me, the bonus tracks are a lot less interesting; they're shorter and the playing's not quite as inspired as the original *Fiddler* lp cuts. Of course, that may be because I keep wanting to replay the original 8 cuts...