Dizzy : The Life and Times of John Birks Gillespie

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any reviews of this.  I read the excerpt like it.  I'm not new but didn't know all the details about afro cuban jazz as mentioned in the article.

Don't know of any reviews but I recently borrowed a copy from the library and enjoyed the read. Maggin does his research although, based on some of the comments in this forum from those who had personal contact with Diz, some of his more egregious behavioral episodes are not mentioned in the bio. Nevertheless, I dug the book but have not read the Shipton which many prefer. I'm also embarrassed to admit that while I've owned Diz's own TO BE OR NOT TO BOP for some time, I've yet to read it. I read this particular bio because I enjoyed the one Maggin did of Getz previously.

I actually recently picked this book up from an online reseller

for around $10. I began reading it over the weekend.

I will say that I am finding it quite enjoyable. It appears to be well

researched, at least the portion covering Dizzy's childhood and adolescence.

I enjoyed Maggin's book on Getz as well. I am finding this one a bit

of an easier read.

Well worth acquiring in my opinion.

Don

Any reviews of this.  I read the excerpt like it.  I'm not new but didn't know all the details about afro cuban jazz as mentioned in the article.

I picked this up and last night I got home late (2 am) from a trip to the city and was flippin through the pages and came to the part where he was dying and a little girl asked him if he was dying and Diz responded, "Yeah, but I had a good gig." God, I hope I come up with a line like that when it comes my turn.

• 1 year later...