"Butterfly" by Kamiko Kazai with Herbie Hancock

HWright

An Australian friend recently turned me on to a somewhat obscure Japanese fusion album (apparently not even mentioned in AMG). It's called "Butterfly" and it's by the Japanese Singer Kamiko Kazai. It was cut in 1979 I believe, during one of Herbie's tours of Japan. I'm not sure, but I think some or all of the Headhunters are on it too. It's quite entertaining and features versions of two Herbie compositions (the title track and "Maiden Voyage") with words, as well as a nice cover of Stevie Wonder's "As."

As far as I can tell it is currently available either as a Japanese import or from Europe (see attached link to German amazon), in case anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...7906973-7474463

Anyone like this album too? Care to share? I'd be also interested to know if anyone knows any stories about the making of this album (I haven't even read the liner notes, so I am not even sure about the most basic facts here.)

That was the 1979 edition of the Headhunters: Herbie, Webster Lewis, Paul Jackson, Alphonze Mouzon, Ray Obiedo, Bennie Maupin & Bill Summers - they recorded a direct-cutting LP in Tokyo at the same time, Direct Step, that was a Japan-only release, as were the 1994 SONY CD's. I have only part of the session with the Japanese vocalist - Herbie sings with her aided by the vocoders he endorsed at the time. Her voice is a acquired taste - some modern soul kitsch. Al Mouzon spoils both albums with monotonous disco bass drum thumping.

If there was a mix without the voices and drums, I'd go for it ... ;)