Multi Wave on PS Audio power plants

shrugs

Guest Mnytime

First off if any of your components have a fan you can't use a MultiWave with them. At least that is what PA Audio recommends.

I have found using a MultiWave with my P1200's has really improved the sound. It allows you to get the most out of the frequency manipulation option of the Power Plants. You get a clearer and lifelike sound. IMHO

You will have to experiment to find the settings that best suit your system. Though the SS1 setting is the one PS Audio recommends as the one for most systems. Though I didn't care for that setting myself.

Edited by Mnytime

I have the P500 with the built in Ultimate Outlet so my power amp and turntable power supply are plugged into that. The UO can accept fan based equipment and won't mess up your turntable either.

I wasn't going to get a power plant but I got such a great deal on the P500 that I couldn't pass it up. I was able to recoup some of the $$ by selling a UO and a Juice Bar so that eased it a little more. That said, along with upgrading my LP 12 to an EKOS II tonearm, this is probably the most significant upgrade that I have done in recent times. Being able to control the power to my system is important in my apartment complex. Especially once the air conditioners come on in a few weeks(if we ever see summer). There were times last year when the power dropped below 114V. My preamp makes an odd sound at that point. There is a switch to enable the preamp to work with power loss but it degrades the performance. It seems at night and on weekends, I would always getting nasty power especially after 6pm on weeknights. A close listen to the tweeters on my speakers would reveal a grainy sound. Granted, I do have some tube noise but this was different.

I have played a little with multi-wave and will check it out some more in the near future.

Guest Mnytime

I didn't know there was a P500. I knew they had P300's and P600's. Are the P500's new? I use the Ultimate Outlets as well.

Lon:

I was under the impression that it was a pain in the ass to install the MutliWave.

58-display.jpg

I have a black one. My wife and I liked the fact that it would fit on my rack and I wouldn't have to put another piece of equipment on the floor since my pre amp ps and Lingo are already there.

I also heard that the P300's fan is kind of loud and doesn't actually operate like it's supposed to. I read about this at the audio asylum power forum.

Edited by shrugs

Yeah I guess a lot of people that have the P300 don't have a fan or unplug it. Either way, it doesn't work correctly according to paulmc at PS Audio Forum. There are definitely some great deals on P300's as of late.

Do you guys leave the Power Plants up all the time?

Edited by shrugs

Guest GregM

Chuck just likes to ring the bell and run away on audio topics. It's not even worth answering the door, I guess.

How has the P500 impacted your system? I gotta say, going from the normal power plant to the power plant w multi wave was not a significant improvement for me.

re: improvements

read my post above

It has helped things out a lot. Much cleaner sound especially in the evening. I really wasn't concerned too much with the multiwave thang but wanted a unit that had a reliable fan. Also I picked it up for a lot less than retail. Buying a P300 would have required me to hold onto my UO so that was kind of a downer since I wanted to get some things off the floor as well. Buying a P600 was out of the question due to it's size.

I also see now that Multiwave II is what the P500 contains. That link has much more info than the owners manual which is kind of a weak point IMO.

Edited by shrugs

Guest GregM

Cool. Speak of the devil, I just got the PS Audio newsletter. They're offering a hat free with the first 300 orders of the MWII. And even the hat is supposedly the best thing since sliced bread! Listen to this:

>> These suckers are expensive and beautifully made. The design is embroidered on the bill and you won't find a better build quality in a hat. <<

Paul is a funny dude. He makes the best amps, preamps, power treatments. . .and hats. :lol:

Edited by GregM

• 2 weeks later...

One went for $1125 recently. And there is another for under $1200

When I was looking around b4 I bought the p500, they were always between $1300 and more often $1600.

I know $100 - $175 less isn't much but once things start to drop at A-gon, new listings almost always follow.