Promise Land - Cedar Walton

jazzhound

I thought it was one the best albums of last year. Nine tracks, 5 fine, new Cedar compositions and a great version of Body and Soul.

Vincent Herring - alto and flute

David Williams - bass

Kenny Washington - drums

I like everything on this cd. Those are getting hard to find.

• 2 weeks later...

the rhythm section is not together, maybe because of the new drummer. the arrangements lack imagination. the bass sound is tubby. the piano sound is what you would hear if you put your head under the lid.

no swing, no sparkle, no nothin.

Jazzhound,

I certainly respect your opinion in these matters but I honestly can't connect with any of your critique of this record. I don't know anyone who hasn't been crazy about it. I said it before, I'll say it again, I thought it was one of the best albums of last year. (I'm not the only one, BTW)

No swing, no sparkle, no nothin. :blink::blink::blink:

Agreeing to disagree isn't a bad thing. ;)

I hope not. I would hate to see anyone waste money on this trainwreck just for the sake of debate!

Oh yea, there is one song where the drummer drops out cause he gets lost !

I have a feeling this was recorded under bad circumstances. it happens in the music world.

Cedar Walton-Composer thats the one to get.

(comments like "everyone likes it", and "I don't know anyone who isn't crazy about it" are a really rude way to discredit another point of view. And obnoxious.)

I hope not. I would hate to see anyone waste money on this trainwreck just for the sake of debate!

(comments like "everyone likes it", and "I don't know anyone who isn't crazy about it" are a really rude way to discredit another point of view. And obnoxious.)

I'm sorry to have offended you jazzhound. I was trying to achieve the opposite. I obviously failed.

Now that I've been needlessly accused of being rude and obnoxious, I think I'll bid you farewell, jazzhound. Good luck and good posting.

Oh yea, there is one song where the drummer drops out cause he gets lost !

I have a feeling this was recorded under bad circumstances. it happens in the music world.

Cedar Walton-Composer thats the one to get.

On second thought.

I've seen people lose their composure in a political forum when the discussion gets heated but I have never seen anyone resort, immediately, to insults and namecalling over a simple disagreement about a freaking cd! For that, Oh Great HoundsTooth, you get the Dubious Achievement Award for Bulletin Board Sociopath of the Month. Congratulations! You deserve it dude!

I've never claimed to be a reviewer. I leave that to people who are more talented than I, but I do know when something I hear is good. Once and for all, folks, The Promise Land is good. It's a no-brainer. Scott Yanow at the AMG site is a good listener and a good reviewer and I note that he regards the album as "Top-notch hard bop", "easily recommended for fans of modern straight-Ahead jazz." He gave it Four Stars. But, ofcourse, Scott has to have his head up his a** because the Great HoundsTooth at Organissimo, has firmly denounced the recording, "no swing, no sparkle, no nothin'" Brilliant, Crime Dog!

Cedar Walton's The Promise Land was released last year on HighNote (arguably the best small jazz label operating today, putting out consistently good music by an impressive stable of fine jazz artists) and the CD went to Number 1 on the JazzWeek national, jazz radio airplay chart. That's 85 jazz radio program directors and jazz programmers all across the United States who report to the weekly chart, but, according to the Great HoundsTooth, are also completely full of sh*t. "I would hate to see anyone waste money on this trainwreck," remarked the Great HoundsTooth. Brilliant again, Tail-O-The-Pup!

HoundsTooth, not only have you demonstrated what sort of person you are; you have also revealed that you have no clue about what you are listening to and you have even less of a clue about how to behave on a bulletin board.

You have a very rude mouth, you have no manners and you have no ear. Put a cork in it, stay out of Recommendations and stick to the fluffy stuff.