Fats Domino among the missing

Harold_Z

(CNN) -- Rock 'n' roll pioneer Fats Domino was among the thousands of New Orleans residents plucked from rising floodwaters, his daughter said Thursday.

Karen Domino White, who lives in New Jersey, identified her father in a picture taken Monday night by a New Orleans Times-Picayune photographer.

The photograph shows Domino -- the singer behind the 1950s hits "Ain't That a Shame" and "Blueberry Hill" -- being helped off a boat near his home in the city's Lower 9th Ward.

His whereabouts since the rescue were not immediately known. Nor was there any information about his wife, Rosemary, friends said.

The neighborhood was heavily flooded when a levee failed as Katrina slammed into southeastern Louisiana and the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Thousands are feared dead in the storm, Louisiana's governor and the mayor of New Orleans have said, though no official tally has been compiled.

White said she last heard from her father August 23, four days before the storm hit, and was unable to contact him Sunday.

"I didn't have any information. I was just praying," she said.

Writer Charles Amann said he last spoke to Domino on Sunday, and the singer refused to join the evacuation that was then under way.

"He said to me, in that wonderful Southern accent of his, that no, he was staying on -- that he had gone through the last one and he could go through this one," said Amann, who is working on a book on the early days of the "American Bandstand" television program.

Many of those evacuated from the Lower 9th Ward were taken to the Louisiana Superdome and are being transferred to the Astrodome sports stadium in Houston, Texas.

Alan Warner, an EMI Music executive, also saw the photograph of Domino's rescue. But he said he did not know where the 77-year-old singer, born Antoine Domino, was taken afterward.

"But the fact that he actually was rescued is just so gratifying," Warner said.

Music Legend 'Fats' Domino Coping With Katrina

By Eli Saslow

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, September 2, 2005; 4:39 PM

BATON ROUGE, La., Sept. 2 -- New Orleans music legend Antoine "Fats" Domino survived Hurricane Katrina, but he's still unsure, he said Friday, about how he will survive its aftermath.

Domino spent the last three nights sleeping on a couch in the two-bedroom, Baton Rouge apartment of Louisiana State starting quarterback JaMarcus Russell, a distant family friend. Domino left that apartment Friday afternoon with his wife, two of his daughters and a son-in-law. He had no idea, he said, where he would go next.

"We've lost everything," Domino said. "I don't know what we're going to do."

Domino and his family waited out the storm on the third floor of his apartment in New Orleans, he said. The water level rose to about 15 feet, threatening the stability of the third floor. Rescue workers saved Domino, 77, late Monday night, taking him out of the city by boat.

They transported him to a shelter in Baton Rouge, where Domino and his family received anti-bacterial shots. After two hours at the shelter, Domino called Russell, who came to pick him up.

"Without JaMarcus, it would have been even worse," Domino said. "We can't thank him enough for letting us stay.

"I'm worried about all the people in New Orleans. Tell them I love them, and I wish I was home with them. I hope we'll see them soon," Domino said.

Russell has had more than 15 people stay in his off-campus apartment since the hurricane hit, he said. When Domino arrived, Russell ran out to Wal-Mart to buy food and water. He went to a drug store, he said, to fill prescriptions at 3 a.m.

The sophomore quarterback -- who had met Domino only once before, through his girlfriend -- said he had not slept for two days. He needed to get a hydrating IV during Thursday's practice of the LSU football team. The team's game against North Texas scheduled for Saturday has been canceled.

"Fats just stayed at my apartment, rested, watched the news," Russell said. "I've had people sleeping on the floor, the couch, everywhere. It's been pretty crazy."

Those closest to Domino had feared the R&B legend might not be okay.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, whose hit singles include "Blueberry Hill" and "Ain't That a Shame," did not contact anybody in the three days after the hurricane. His agent, Al Embry, reported him missing earlier this week, and concern about his fate grew until his daughter, Karen Domino White, said Thursday that she had recognized her father in a picture taken Monday by the New Orleans Times-Picayune. Domino wore jeans and a blue striped shirt, she said.

He was wearing the same outfit when he left Baton Rouge Friday afternoon.

I heard that Allen Toussaint was possibly at the Superdome.

Does anyone have any more recent information?

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...&sn=001&sc=1000

"Another musician whose whereabouts had been in doubt, Allen Toussaint, 67, said he had been planning to ride out the storm at a hotel on Canal Street, but left New Orleans and managed to travel to New York on Thursday, according to the New York Times."