Show us your... paintings

scottb

There are several artists who have shared bits of their work in the past and I've always enjoyed seeing their work. Thought it might also be interesting to see some members' taste in the visual arts. Post what you've got or even just what you like.

The painting I'm posting is one I just happened across on ebay. What do you think? The artist my be a hack but it caught my untrained eye.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. I like paintings with texture like that. I'm also a sucker for Impressionism. I'm certainly no art expert, but I've been to a lot of art museums and I know where my interests lie. I also try to maintain an open mind to appreciate new things. Just like in music!

The painting I'm posting is one I just happened across on ebay. What do you think? The artist my be a hack but it caught my untrained eye.

"Untrained eye"? I doubt that. I don't think it's a requirement that you be an expert in art to make an informed decision as to what you like. If you like it, then it's good. Others may not like it, that's cool. How "good" it is is a very subjective thing.

I like paintings where you can get close and study the technique (texture, brush strokes, color use, etc.) of the artist and then back away and see the finished "vision" come into focus. Monet and Van Gogh are both that way for me.

Hey, here's a great one.....I love the dog that's cheating.......... :)

friend.jpg

Edited by Free For All

I like it. I like paintings with texture like that. I'm also a sucker for Impressionism. I'm certainly no art expert, but I've been to a lot of art museums and I know where my interests lie. I also try to maintain an open mind to appreciate new things. Just like in music!

"Untrained eye"? I doubt that. I don't think it's a requirement that you be an expert in art to make an informed decision as to what you like. If you like it, then it's good. Others may not like it, that's cool. How "good" it is is a very subjective thing.

I like paintings where you can get close and study the technique (texture, brush strokes, color use, etc.) of the artist and then back away and see the finished "vision" come into focus. Monet and Van Gogh are both that way for me.

Hey, here's a great one.....I love the dog that's cheating.......... :)

friend.jpg

At my last company I worked at, for 5 years service you receive a gift. They send you a link to a web site to pick your gift. This painting is on that list. I wanted to pick this.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I said she may be a hack because I'm not sure what the art community would think about an artist who sold their stuff on ebay. I got no problem with it and I really liked her work so I'll probably get the painting.

You just never know, people who "know" art may say that it's something any art major would do in oils class. She may be the Kenny G of oil paiinting! :D

Didn't know of any taboos against ebay artists. I DO know, however, that you shouldn't have dental work done in some guys living room! (Guy from Mexico was busted here several months back.)

And that tear really gets ya, dudn't it?

yes, it puts the cloud like hair into a whole 'nother perspective.

amazing stuff

that's no cloud, and i'm no critic, but ... as you can discern by the envelopment of his tresses the artist is strongly influenced by the japonais block paintings of hokusai. do note the plunging dali-esque neckline that might be an hommage to the peanutbutter and banana sammich.

amazing stuff

that's no cloud, and i'm no critic, but ... as you can discern by the envelopment of his tresses the artist is strongly influenced by the japonais block paintings of hokusai.

aah! another layer of interpretation, comparing the King's hairdo to a full grown japanese tsunami of yesteryear. But where's the grease in that?

Edited by couw

amazing stuff

that's no cloud, and i'm no critic, but ... as you can discern by the envelopment of his tresses the artist is strongly influenced by the japonais block paintings of hokusai.

aah! another layer of interpretation, comparing the King's hairdo to a full grown japanese tsunami of yesteryear. But where's the grease in that?

If you don't have the artistic insight and inspiration to see it, there's really not much hope for you.

yeah, that flat microphone really adds depth to the man's face.

THE MAN??!! How dare you! Although he certainly died a man's death with the pills and the toilet and all those kinds of things, he is the KING! and should be esteemed as such even in casual references.

Speaking of the King, Graceland could be entered in its entirity into the bad art museum.