Jessica Pavone, violin

Chris Dahlgren, bass

Aaron Siegel, drums

Composer and saxophonist Anthony Braxton formed the Creative Construction

Company (with violinist Leroy Jenkins and trumpeter Wadada Leo Smith) in the

mid-60s before recording the seminal For Alto (Delmark Records), the first-ever

recording for solo saxophone. Subsequent collaborations included ‘Circle’ with

Chick Corea and Dave Holland, Italian free improvisation group Musica

Elettronica Viva, and in duo with guitarist Derek Bailey, drummer Max Roach, and

pianist Hank Jones. His quartet with pianist Marilyn Crispell, bassist Mark

Dresser, and drummer Gerry Hemingway during the 80s and 90s is often considered

Braxton’s most remarkable ensemble. His three decades of recordings is

kaleidoscopic and prolific, and has been met with critical praise including

prestigious awards. Braxton is a recipient of the MacArthur Fellowship and a

tenured professor at Wesleyan University.

Purchase tickets today:

http://ticketweb.com/user/?region=xxx&quer...etweb&newhps=1&

search=anthony+braxton

International House, 3701 Chestnut Street | Philadelphia

8pm tonight.

It was great, but I was surprised at the number of walkouts (actually I shouldn't, considering the number of walkouts I saw at an Ornette Coleman show just last year--WHERE'S DE JAZZ??!!).

Anybody have the season tickets and get to talk to Braxton before the show? Any idea what composition was played, and if it was one of the Ghost Trance series or one of the others he is working on?

Edited by Hoppy T. Frog

The walkouts were disturbing but not unexpected. The show looked to be a sellout and he did get a standing ovation (w/ a 2nd call back) from the crowd. However, one would think that at a concert presented at an university that there would be a number of open minded people in attendance.

Hopefully it won't be another 13 years before his next Philly show.

You would figure these people would know what a Braxton show was.

That being said I was a bit underwhlemed at moments. Obviously when you teeter on the edge like he does, there is a fine line between noise and greatness. I think it was often on the noise side.

But there were several great moments, many of them provided by Taylor Ho Bynum. And obviously Braxton's playing was very good.

It was very demanding music. I wonder if Braxton(and the audience) would have been better served if they had had two shorter 45 minute sets instead of one long 90 minute set. Towards the end I was feeling a little fatigued(both physically and mentally) and I suppose some of the people who walked out may have felt that way too. Though I blame the fatigue factor more on the setting than the music. The room was really hot and made for a very uncomfortable listening experience for me.

Actually, I thought there were very few walkouts -- maybe 5% of the audience?

I thought the concert was exhilarating.

The performance emphasized the ensemble's interaction more than just Braxton's soloing. Seeing the group in performance helped me better understand how Braxton organizes some of his work. The musicians spent a lot of the time working as changing pairs or trios, superimposing different segments. Changes in sub-groups were made by hand signals. There was a lot of variety and a fair amount of humor. Braxton cracked up one or twice.

Besides Braxton himself, the playing from Taylor Ho Bynum (trumpet & trombone) and Jay Rozen (tuba) stood out. Rozen got an amazing set of sounds. At one point he played the tuba through a sax mouthpiece.

And I was thrilled that Braxton brought his contrabass sax. It made the baritone look like a toy!

And yes, the room was too warm and I got a bit weary towards the end. (But then I always hate sitting for that long.)

This was the sextet's U.S. premiere. They've been together since the Spring and have played about a dozen gigs in Europe. They're playing in Boston tonight and then will be off until next year. (And the Philly gig is the first with the contrabass sax. They drove it down in a van.)

Edited by alankin

This was the sextet's U.S. premiere.  They've been together since the Spring and have played about a dozen gigs in Europe.  They're playing in Boston tonight and then will be off until next year.  (And the Philly gig is the first with the contrabass sax.  They drove it down in a van.)

Where do I find the concert dates/locations for the US? I recently emailed the U of Michigan musical society a request to invite Braxton here to Ann Arbor and they told me that they are very interested in bringing him here and will try to do so, but they had nothing more than that so far.