Double Six of Paris

paul secor

I recently listened to the Dizzy Gillespie/Double Six of Paris recording and found myself wondering what became of the Double Six? I believe that some or all of them were also in the Swingle Singers, whose recordings were popular in the U.S. in the early to mid '60s.

Did they split up and disappear? Or did they continue to perform without making any waves in the U.S.?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I can't answer your question, except to say that BMG/RCA re-released one of their albums about 2001.

Ward Swingle was in the Double Six before he founded the Swingle Singers.

He has reformed the Swingle Singers as a group of six young people. They put out an album called Mood Swings on the A Cappella label in 2004. I reviewed it for AAJ. I enjoy it. Listened to it just the other day.

Last Double Six was in 1964. They kind of evolved into the Swingle Singers.

Here's some updates:

Mimi Perrin (did not do the Swingle thingle) has been translator for the works of novelist John LeCarre.

The most recent Christiane Legrand album I know of is 1989's "Nul Ne Sait" which includes Egberto Gismonti on a track. She was a member of the Swingle Singers and also had a group called Quire.

Also in both the Swingles and the Double Six was Ward Swingle who afterwards lived in London, then the US for years, but apparently is back in France now. There still is a group called the Swingle Singers but he is behind the scenes.

http://www.wardswingle.com/

Other good history info here:

http://www.swinglesingers.com/history/beginnings_r.html

Jean-Claude Briodin appeared on a 1992 album by Michel Legrand (brother of Christiane).

There was a Double Six singer named Jacques Denjean - is the same JD who was later a pianist and conductor? Or perhaps just a common name.

Mike

There was a Double Six singer named Jacques Denjean - is the same JD who was later a pianist and conductor? Or perhaps just a common name.

Mike

Orchestra leader/conductor Jacques Denjean was a Double Six singer.

The breakup date for the Double Six is usually given as April 1965.

Some other musicians who sang at one time or another with the group include Roger Guerin, Jef Gilson and Bernard Lubat.

Mimi Perrin was the de facto leader of the Double Six. She was a singer with The Blue Stars (along with nBlossom Dearie, Christian Chevalier and others) before forming the Double Six.