Paul Richardson, R.I.P.

Chalupa

Posted on Wed, Oct. 04, 2006

Paul Richardson, Phillies organist

By JOHN F. MORRISON

morrisj@phillynews.com 215-854-5573

THE PHILLIES had this new player, see.

Stan Hochman described him in the Daily News like this:

"Little guy, spunky, flip... . Pounds out nothing but hits. Never strikes out. Great range. Can go to his left and his right. Hasn't made an error yet... . Especially tough in the late innings. Loves to come up with men on base."

This paragon of virtue was a player only in the broadest sense. It was 1970, and Paul Richardson was the Phillies new organist.

The team played in Connie Mack Stadium that year, but moved to the Vet the next year. Paul pumped up players and fans alike with his pounding rhythms and frequent bursts of the taped trumpet call - "Charge!"

He played for 35 seasons, entertaining millions of fans, before retiring for health reasons after the 2005 season at Citizens Bank Park. Paul died Monday of complications of prostate cancer. He was 74 and lived in Wilmington.

The Phillies have no plans for a successor. "There's no way to replace him," said Chris Long, Phillies director of entertainment, at Paul's retirement. "No one else can do what he did."

Said Phillies president David Montgomery: "Paul had a great sense of timing and a feel for the game of baseball. He was a big part of our in-game entertainment. He was always suggesting ways to pump up our fans. Above all, he was a quality individual."

Once asked why the Phillies had hired him above other candidates for the job, Paul said, "I was the only one who knew what an infield-fly rule was."

Paul was hired by Phillies chairman Bill Giles, who was then vice president of business operations. He had heard Paul play at a team Christmas party.

"Paul was a character who was more than just a gifted organist," said Giles. "He was an entertainer extraordinaire, someone who had the feel for how to excite and entertain the crowds. He loved to perform and loved people."

At the time of his retirement, Paul said: "I've had a great run. They gave me the freedom to do a lot. Thirty-five years is a long time. I loved every minute."

Paul once described other stadium organists as "little old ladies in tennis shoes" who favored Lawrence Welk tunes. He, on the other hand, had a wide-ranging repertoire that went from tarantellas to Irish jigs, country-western to rock and disco.

He had songs he played for certain players, such as "We're in the Money," for Don Money; "Downtown" for Deron Johnson; for Greg Luzinski, it was a Polish polka.

Not every player appreciated his song. When Rich Allen, the former Phillie, showed up at the Vet with the Dodgers, Paul played a song from "Jesus Christ Superstar."

Allen sent word to the organist that if he played that again, Allen would punch him out.

"I think he was kidding," Paul said.

Mostly, Paul favored music that would get the fans clapping, like the tarantellas and Irish jigs.

One night in 1975 when the Phils were being clobbered by the Montreal Expos and the fans were fervently booing then-manager Danny Ozark, Paul launched into the theme from the "Pink Panther," and the boos ceased.

He relished the control he had over the fans' moods. He got a kick out of the trumpet blast that brought the loud cry of "Charge!" from the spectators - and inspired the players as well.

He was born in Wilmington to Ralph Richardson and the former Hannah Kehnast. He graduated from Wilmington High School.

Paul was something of a musical prodigy. He started studying the piano at 6 in Wilmington and played his first gig in a local restaurant at age 14.

Besides playing for the Phillies, he filled in as organist at Yankee Stadium for a few years, and entertained at clubs and other venues in and around Wilmington and Philadelphia.

One of his memorable moments came when he played a duet at a Phillies game with his daughter Victoria on piano.

He taught at the Wilmington Music School and performed in the United States and in Canada as an artist for several keyboard manufacturers.

He made a number of CDs that are available through www.cdbaby.com.

Paul also performed during the Phillies' annual winter caravans and at the annual banquet of the Philadelphia Sports Writers Association. A framed photo montage of Paul's Phillies career will be permanently displayed at Citizens Bank Park starting with next season.

Sad news indeed. His sounds form a real connection to my days growing up w/ the Phils, along with Harry Kalas & Richie Ashburn, of course. Being a (former) long-time Wilmingtonian, I appreciated the mention in the obit of the Wilmington Music School, where I began my own piano studies! Paul will be missed, as one of the last (and certainly the best) at his occupation.