Favorite living jazz Flute players...

Rooster_Ties

I'll start the ball rolling.

Gary Thomas: I think his flute-playing is highly underrated, at least from what I've heard of it. Two of my favorites are...

Thomas' own "Pariah's Pariah (Winter & Winter, ": a piano-less quartet with Greg Osby, plus bass and drums. A very deep album, and Thomas' flute playing is outstanding, as is the context he plays in. (I think he plays flute on about 2 or 3 cuts)

and Thomas on Ingrid Jensen's "Higher Grounds (Enja, 1999)": a standard quintet with either piano or fender, and the great Victor Lewis on drums (Jenson plays trumpet). Thomas plays flute on about three cuts, and plays with a real "punch" that I rarely hear on flute, perhaps stemming from his M-BASE roots??

Otherwise, I'm not always the biggest fan of jazz flute soloists, and I'm wondering what other options are out there?? - that I'm missing out on.

Who are the "Woody Shaws", the "Greg Osbies", or the "Chris Potters" of jazz flute these days???

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Jonas Simonson of Swedish band 'Groupa.' Actually a 'folk' band if we're talking labels but the closest I've heard any band pigeonholed in the 'folk' box get to getting the freewheeling, improvisatory nature of jazz whilst keeping within the phrasing and harmony of the traditional music. Simonson is superb, weaving his way through the cloudy textures of this breathtaking music.

I love the sound of the flute but feel its ethereal nature often makes it sound a bit overpowered in conventional jazz groups. Groupa provide a context where the bottom is light enough for it to really shine through.

I love James Newton too.

Edited by Bev Stapleton