Les Tresors du Jazz

Durium

The Trésors du Jazz 1955 is out by now:

Trésors 1955

and cheaper at FNAC

I followed that link that Brownie provided above, and on the page in question (www.alapage.com), listed at the bottom (under other things of interested) was:

THAT DEVILIN' TUNE / VOL.3 : A JAZZ HISTORY 1934 / 1945

http://www.alapage.com/-/Fiche/Musiques/92...nee_appel=REF05

So Allen, I guess this is coming out in 10 days in Europe!

Date de sortie : 16/11/2006

Edited by Adam

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently "The Story of Vocal Jazz" (10 discs each) is also shaping up to be a series.

So far, two boxes have been released:

"L'histoire du jazz vocal - 1911 - 1940"

B00042Z9BY.08._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"L'histoire du jazz vocal - 1941 - 1953"

B00042Z9CI.08._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I saw both for 20 Euro each on ebay but missed them, otherwise I would have jumped on them. Close to Euro 50 is too much for me, especially if there is lots of stuff on there I already have on other boxes.

It's a pain in the neck that there isn't a website dedicated to Francis' and Schwartz' remastering efforts and multiplying boxed sets. It's getting a bit confusing.

Someone should tell them to get off their rear ends and put a concise list of what's on where online. I wish I knew how to contact them.

Someone should tell them to get off their rear ends and put a concise list of what's on where online. I wish I knew how to contact them.

I feel your pain, but you gotta give them some love and understanding. These are elderly gentlemen doing this as a labor of love. It wouldn't be at all surprising if they've never surfed the web in their lives. It's the label that publishes their compilations, Le Chant du Monde, that needs to get a functioning website up and running. They have one now (http://www.chantdumonde.com/) that just says it's "under construction."

I feel your pain, but you gotta give them some love and understanding. These are elderly gentlemen doing this as a labor of love. It wouldn't be at all surprising if they've never surfed the web in their lives. It's the label that publishes their compilations, Le Chant du Monde, that needs to get a functioning website up and running. They have one now (http://www.chantdumonde.com/) that just says it's "under construction."

You're absolutely right. I'm extremely (!) happy we have these true fans catering to our needs, with a passion.

And yes, I've surfed the Net thin for some sites to really give us the info we need, but to no avail.

Still, I think if I could find an address to contact them (without my mail getting lost in the white noise that is the Internet), I think we might be able to let them know how appreciative we are of their efforts ... and maybe get them to apply some pressure to go online ... somewhere.

Edited by neveronfriday

• 3 months later...

I went to Blue Note Records in Amsterdam and finally saw these sets. I picked up #2 (1944-1951) since I was buying some other good Dutch jazz as well, but now I'm listening to disc 11 (the first disc in box 2) and it's really quite burning. They had the vocals ones and the piano one there as well, and up through 1956, all for 50 Euro each (I think). That article to which Tom Storer linked in the second post is a very nice accounting of teh series. Here's that link again:

http://www.livingwithmusic.com/index.php/m...resors_du_jazz/

• 3 weeks later...

Took some quick pics (in the dark) of the two "L'histoire du jazz vocal" boxed sets (Francis & Schwarz again), 1911-1940 and 1941-1953.

Now I'm only missing the big band box. :)

I paid much less for these sets, about Euro 10 (2nd set) and 20 (first set) via eBay and, as far as I recall, Amazon marketplace (Germany).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72483581@N00/

• 4 months later...

It's 10CDs and I just received confirmation from the same outfit that it might be coming out a few weeks earlier. That doesn't mean it will though, considering the past of this series. Still, the two editors should be allowed all the time in the world ... they are doing lots of people a great service by keeping at it.

What's interesting about trying to buy these sets, is that if you check on German Amazon, you will find all of them listed there. However, the best prices for new copies are offered by "Camian Amerika" and shipped from Florida! However, Amazon.com here in the U.S. does not list them at all .... any explanation for this? How does one contact Caiman to make purchases other than going through Amazon?

Edited by garthsj

André Francis and Jean Schwarz (editors of "Les Trésors du Jazz") also are presenting a series called "Jazz Characters". At present there are 30 volumes (2 cd each) portraying 30 important jazz musicians with recordings from all over their careers in chronological order (limited by the European copyright "barrier" of 50 years, thus the Earl Hines set for example ends in 1955).

The compilations are - as was to be expected - professionally selected and put together. The sound has been cleaned and restored.

Earlier on I listended to the Fletcher Henderson set "Sweet And Hot" covering his orchestras of 1923 - 1938. Here the concept works very well, because the relatively short time span of 15 years allows a representative selection of 47 of Henderson's most important recordings as a leader of his orchestra.

The Earl Hines set "Deep Forest" which I am listening to right now is another matter. The sheer length of Hines' career makes Francis' and Schwarz' selection somewhat arbitrary (even considering that they just covered the period from 1928 to 1955). The set begins with the famous "Weather Bird" from 1928 with Hines and Louis Armstrong. Then follow eight solo recordings from 1928. The Big Band is represented with overall 17 sides recorded between 1929 and 1942. There are more solo, trio and quartet sides as well some recordings with Louis Armstrong's All Stars. Of course there are many omissions if one only considers the large number of great recordings Hines made with his big band during the 30's. Nevertheless the two cd set presents a fine compilation of Hines recordings in great sound; the usual suspects (e.g. "Boogie Woogie On St. Louis Blues") as well as obscurities like four blues sides from 1947 with Duke Garrette and Curley Hamner.

Edited by Tommy T