BFT #42 CD 2

Mr. Bassman

... here are the remarks to Nate's follow-up remarks to #10-16:

10: hm... one of those world-music/fusiony things. I guess it just sounds too clean & bright for me, though it certainly kept me guessing (the first bass feature with spacey swells & swirls of accordion in particular, plus the bagpipe feature near the end).

Yes, there are some incredients of world-music in this cooking. Some critics had a similar impression on this and there was a bit of disappointment, but there were some more enthusiastic critics, too. And a Bass-player has sometimes "weird ears" :D I liked this one. But, there are other recordings, maybe they will be more to your enjoyment.

11: Well, no prizes for recognizing the tune! More bass-centric music....

The tune is inspired of some classical music... and a hommage to an instrument :w

12: This is one of those "good for what it is tracks" in a mode that I'm basically not interested in. Hm, two electric bassists....

... at first a big grin :g , and the assurement, that this tune refers to the special theme. But there is only one bass-player... and it is a live recording, so... no overdubs.

13: Well this is a familiar track--it's of course the great AM with Jaco &... I forget who the drummer is, is it Mouzon? I have this on the MPS threefer; here's the original album. I think this track is "Zores Mores". What can I say: classic music.

:D:tup but it's another track ...., have another try :)

14: Pleasantly mellow but I keep waiting for the players to actually do something other than flipflop between two chords.... It's only when the bass clarinettist steps outside of the key after the 3 minute mark that anything leaps out at me. I take it that multiple-bass combos are a theme of this BFT...

Well, the tune has a very simple chord-progression and the performers of this one try to catch that impression. Okay, i have to give hint here.... it is one bass-player here. It is a studio recording and you can imagine... if this is only one bass-player, he did some overdubs. But who is it ? BTW, the song was recognized some posts ago :) . The bass-clarinet-solo is nice, indeed ! ... and i know, who this is :w

... some words to the special theme.... as this is only one bass-player, the theme must be something different...

15: They're definitely pushing it by saying they're "the finest band in town" (one wonders how many actual musicians rather than sequencers participated anyway), but this cheesy mangling of rhythm changes at least made me smile.

Actually, they don't exist any more, and... there is only a drum-machine for BD, HH and crashes, the snare is played by hand from the musician !!!! And a bit overdubs, but they have performed that live (... beside this... i missed the concert... :wacko: , but was this a shame ??? :cool: ... okay it would have been some kind of a party than a serious concert).

16: And a merry Xmas to you! -- Nice to hear an imaginatively reharmonized version of this, usually one of the dullest of Xmas tunes.

Ah, another lover of this version of that specific tune, I'm not alone. :g and some additional things, to this song,... we (my wife, to be precise) have a version of this tune in finnish, sung by a bass-baritone classical singer accompanied by a church-organ with simple register (no wall of sound). This version is quite okay, not that sweet than other interpretations.

Well, i selected this tune because it was the shortest on this recording and... next BFT is in December.... :g

with regards

Mr. Bassman

try to fill the gaps later

I've tried not to look to previous comments (as before):

track #1: Slim&Slam....

track #2:

track #3:

track #4: I know that the tune sounds familiar, but what it reminds me of is something I heard on film or TV ...not that I find any unique sounding instrumentalist recognizable.

Track #5: Paquito d'Rivera ?

Track #6:no clue...., Turkish tuned

track #7: ECM...Weber would be my first guess

track #8: here as well.. I should know that tune in a different interpretation

Track #9:

Track #10

track #11 eine kleine Nachtmusik....must be an Austrian who doesn't like to celebrate his birthday (Ups ...was the Waltzer Strauss)

Track #12: Some Sting live recording ????

Track #13: sounds pretty much like Weather report..a Jaco live bootleg ? (mixed the track number somewhat)

Track #14:

Track#15:

Track#16: Ihr Kinderlein...Süßer die Glocken nie klingen should be Mr Ilg again (have you mixed that ??? mine is skipping somewhat, maybe my player cannot properly read all data)

Edited by tjobbe

Okay, it's the central commentator again.... :D

try to fill the gaps later

Okay. I will add mine seperately

track #1: Slim&Slam....

:tup

track #4: I know that the tune sounds familiar, but what it reminds me of is something I heard on film or TV ...not that I find any unique sounding instrumentalist recognizable.

No TV or film... but it sounds a bit pictoral

Track #5: Paquito d'Rivera ?

Not that easy... no, but can you recognize the tune ? Nobody recognizes this one... hmmm...

Track #6:no clue...., Turkish tuned

:) In this case... not turkish

track #7: ECM...Weber would be my first guess

... well guessed :tup

track #8: here as well.. I should know that tune in a different interpretation

Really ? This would be a surprise to me, but it could be, theoretically. Maybe it sounds familiar, because the composer had something in mind.

track #11 eine kleine Nachtmusik....must be an Austrian who doesn't like to celebrate his birthday (Ups ...was the Waltzer Strauss)

:rofl: Great idea, an anti-birthday-celebration tune. No Mozart, surely. Strauss has some great connection to this. But the tune is a hommage to an instrument.....

Track #12: Some Sting live recording ????

If i remember that right... Sting was still connected somewhat to Eberhard Schöner in those days, Police was still not in sight :excited: But it is a live recording, any idea ?

Track #13: sounds pretty much like Weather report..a Jaco live bootleg ? (mixed the track number somewhat)

Uhhhh, not a bootleg at all !!! A famous recording, actually life. And :tup it is JP !

Track#16: Ihr Kinderlein...Süßer die Glocken nie klingen should be Mr Ilg again (have you mixed that ??? mine is skipping somewhat, maybe my player cannot properly read all data)

No Mr. Ilg at all. And... not the right title :D You like that ?

I have done no mixing, i adapted only some output-levels of a few tunes. It sounded a bit weired... the Ballad loud and the high-energy-tune was somewhat soft. But nothing else, no compressor etc. Sorry about the skipping, i burnt it at low speed, but i hadn't tested all CDs.

with regards

Mr. Bassman

Edited by Mr. Bassman

Okay, so I finally find the time to stroll the "uncharted territories" of disc 2 ..... :P

Track 1: Now this is one everybody should know, not just bass players .... so you remembered this one: Wait till you hear the live version I have on vinyl!

Track 2: An Ornette Coleman tune, If I'm not totally mislead. Nicely done. I'm not a fan of these fast virtuosic players, but this here works and fits the tune very well. Dave Holland? But not quite his sound ....

Track 3: Nice juggling ryhthms in the theme. Or rather the intro. Rhodes and acoutic piano simultaneously? Yeah, this is verrry nice. I'd say this is in 15/8 time divided in 7-8, with tricky triplets in the 8/8 part. I like the soprano player more in the theme, where he displays a round, mellow sound, but he is tempted to the usual runs and trills in the solo. Hard to find an original style beneath the technical aspect these days. That pianist'sconcept is nice,but I like the sound the best, comping on the Rhodes for his own solo. But on the whole, this is a very good piece of music, and they know what they're doing. No idea who they are. Very nice ending!!!

Track 4: I should know this, at least the tenor sounds extremely familiar. Archie Shepp? But the music is too dreamy for him. I dunno. No: Charles Lloyd!!! I have heard this type of thing too often ..... the thrill is gone ..... but they do this very well, of course,and he has his story to tell, and it's true. Just not my taste.

Track 5: Oh - this is from that Latin big band from the country where nobody would look for such a thing? Hehe .... nice version of Jaco's tune! They're in clave, that's for sure! Very nice bass trombone - or is this tuba?

Track 6: One more Oh!!! I have this legendary LP. Not quite a night in Tunisia. Great stuff! Wild! :excited:

Track 7: I was waiting for this guy to appear! Unmistakeable sound, lots of overdubbing. This was a very nice surprise when you played this to me, as I'm not a fan of him, but this is an excellent album!

Track 8: Is this the multi-bass band CD you bought in Vienna? Somewhat lightweight, but the sound is what counts!

Track 9: The percussion is a little nervous for my taste, and the flutist's approach and intonation too "classical". I was kind of surprised this developped into a big band track. The way the low horns lead the ensemble is what like the best about this.

Track 10: Electric oud funk? Sounds pretty much like an oriental band, but then the bass sounds like European player. Don't know what to think of this: The darbouka player hits the "doum" so hard during his break that you can't hear the sound any more, and the conga player for certain is oriental, ,judging from his approach. Is the bassist the leader here. For European oriental jazz it is quite nice, but for an oriental band I would say they stray too far from their culture - but you know I'm very critical about these things .....

Track 11: Lots of blue danubian basses here ..... :g humor does belong in music! Shroum shroum! This has me grinning all the way through!

Track 12: This should be Jaco or at least one of his tunes - wasn't there some Jaco tribute involving several bassists? Sounds like this! Cobham-like runs over the toms! Or is this from one of the Havana Jam albums? Alphonso Johnson rather than Jaco?

Track 13: The late King Albert, unmistakeably. One his original tunes. Some of the drum licks sound a lot like Elvin, but some and the sound so not. A wild guess would be his record with Jaco and Alphonze Mouzon - I have to admit I never heard much of it.

Track 14: I love bass clarinet so much, I like this although I find the music a little lightweight. That treble register bass sound I know from somewhere ..... Two basses here, a big fiddle and a bass guitar. Not bad! Interestingly done. I like this much better than I thought I would!

Track 15: Hahaha!!! :lol: Wild! The electric bass comunion! I really dig this kind of stuff! No idea who it is, though.

Track 16: Verrrrry nice closer! Not Weberhard? I love those harmonics and all! Very tongue-in-cheek!

Great job, Buddy!!!! :tup:tup:tup

Mr B: "blandsville" is just my shorthand for saying it's too syrupy/smooth/easy-listening to my tastes. -- Aha, that is Nabatov. Possibly one of those Klaus Konig discs? I just tried sampling them on AMG but my connection wasn't working. Anyway, pleased to spot Simon because (unlike the two tracks I spotted on disc 1) I don't own the disc!

:tup I am deeply impressed, never thought that someone will catch this one that quick ! It is one of these Klaus König discs, but it is the only one, that i possess. As there is still a lot of time and some people haven't got their packages yet, I will not unveil, which one, so they can try.... :D

I told you Nate was an ace at these things!

Maybe the pronounciation of "Floogie" during the Februar recording was more precise, just a guess, i can't check that, becouse i don't have that Februar recording (... the so-called original Vocalise release).

The pronounciation and what it implies probably was the reason for that first version to stay unreleased. Slim Gaillard stated they first called the tune Flat Foot Floossie - a Floossie is a whore - but the record company wouldn't have nothing of this, so they changed it into Flat Foot Floogie - and ever since everybody wonders what the hell it means .....

Mr B: "blandsville" is just my shorthand for saying it's too syrupy/smooth/easy-listening to my tastes. -- Aha, that is Nabatov. Possibly one of those Klaus Konig discs? I just tried sampling them on AMG but my connection wasn't working. Anyway, pleased to spot Simon because (unlike the two tracks I spotted on disc 1) I don't own the disc!

:tup I am deeply impressed, never thought that someone will catch this one that quick ! It is one of these Klaus König discs, but it is the only one, that i possess. As there is still a lot of time and some people haven't got their packages yet, I will not unveil, which one, so they can try.... :D

I told you Nate was an ace at these things!

ahhhhh, blind and deaf

It's the intro to that "Adams universe" and you can find it row seven box 3 in my CD collection...

it's one of those tunes you know you've heard but you cannot link it to the album you have in your collection.

Cheers, Tjobbe

ahhhhh, blind and deaf

It's the intro to that "Adams universe" and you can find it row seven box 3 in my CD collection...

it's one of those tunes you know you've heard but you cannot link it to the album you have in your collection.

Cheers, Tjobbe

:lol: I know this syndrom very well.

And now i want to add, why this is in here... because i have the #42 BFT!!!... it was obvious to take a track from the "hitchhikers guide to the universe"... the track "deep thought" (The source of "42") was much too long, so i decided, "Arthur Dent" will do it. For all the people, not knowing Douglas Adams and his nice work, it is a bit difficult to follow, maybe i will add a short version in the answer-thread.

with regards

Mr. Bassman

... and here are the comments... i think i have to give a lot of credits here , but it is a homeplay for mikeweil :D

Okay, so I finally find the time to stroll the "uncharted territories" of disc 2 ..... :P

Oh... a few marks are still on the map!

Track 1: Now this is one everybody should know, not just bass players .... so you remembered this one: Wait till you hear the live version I have on vinyl!

:excited: Die hast du mir bis jetzt vorenthalten.... Schuft ! :g Yeah, I think everybody knows it now

Track 2: An Ornette Coleman tune, If I'm not totally mislead. Nicely done. I'm not a fan of these fast virtuosic players, but this here works and fits the tune very well. Dave Holland? But not quite his sound ....

Tune is not from Ornette. Is Dave Holland a real guess and shall i say something to this or is Dave Holland just a kind of "shooting-into- the-blue"? To the virtuosity-theme... if this is music, it is okay, but if it is not, I call it sports :lol: but this is no sports at all.

Track 3: Nice juggling ryhthms in the theme. Or rather the intro. Rhodes and acoutic piano simultaneously? Yeah, this is verrry nice. I'd say this is in 15/8 time divided in 7-8, with tricky triplets in the 8/8 part. I like the soprano player more in the theme, where he displays a round, mellow sound, but he is tempted to the usual runs and trills in the solo. Hard to find an original style beneath the technical aspect these days. That pianist'sconcept is nice,but I like the sound the best, comping on the Rhodes for his own solo. But on the whole, this is a very good piece of music, and they know what they're doing. No idea who they are. Very nice ending!!!

Ah! Another lover of this ending. Tricky music, eh??? I didn't counted it, because you are much better in this :w and... well, any idea of a geographical aspect ?

Track 4: I should know this, at least the tenor sounds extremely familiar. Archie Shepp? But the music is too dreamy for him. I dunno. No: Charles Lloyd!!! I have heard this type of thing too often ..... the thrill is gone ..... but they do this very well, of course,and he has his story to tell, and it's true. Just not my taste.

No, wrong track choosen, no Lloyd and no Shepp. And yes, it is a nice story. This was a CD with some dust on the case.... Sometimes it is not that bad for the collection to do a BFT !

Track 5: Oh - this is from that Latin big band from the country where nobody would look for such a thing? Hehe .... nice version of Jaco's tune! They're in clave, that's for sure! Very nice bass trombone - or is this tuba?

Yes, i was sure you would recognize this, we had some of this in one of our listening-evenings ! As you recognized the tune.... what is the remarkable thing in this version ? And it is a Tuba not a bass-trombone.

Track 6: One more Oh!!! I have this legendary LP. Not quite a night in Tunisia. Great stuff! Wild! :excited:

Yes, not quite a night in Tunesia :g As you have this record.... you can imagine, why this is here ... and why it has track #6 :w

Track 7: I was waiting for this guy to appear! Unmistakeable sound, lots of overdubbing. This was a very nice surprise when you played this to me, as I'm not a fan of him, but this is an excellent album!

You had this CD some months ago to listen to it. But it is not overdubbing ! It is a bit different. He performed this stuff in a concert.

Track 8: Is this the multi-bass band CD you bought in Vienna? Somewhat lightweight, but the sound is what counts!

:tup I took a lightweight-take, thats right.

Track 9: The percussion is a little nervous for my taste, and the flutist's approach and intonation too "classical". I was kind of surprised this developped into a big band track. The way the low horns lead the ensemble is what like the best about this.

He.. he.. you allready know, who this is

Track 10: Electric oud funk? Sounds pretty much like an oriental band, but then the bass sounds like European player. Don't know what to think of this: The darbouka player hits the "doum" so hard during his break that you can't hear the sound any more, and the conga player for certain is oriental, ,judging from his approach. Is the bassist the leader here. For European oriental jazz it is quite nice, but for an oriental band I would say they stray too far from their culture - but you know I'm very critical about these things .....

Hmmmm, it is not a oriental band, but there are several different musicians in this, from different countries and cultures. The bassist is the Leader here, thats right. Hey... it is Mr. Bassman BFT :crazy: The CD of this gentleman is sometimes difficult: a bit too much crowd playing together and it is hard to listen to this stuff, because it it that complex and "full". But there exist other works, too ... with a smaller crowd. But interesting, isn't it ?

Track 11: Lots of blue danubian basses here ..... :g humor does belong in music! Shroum shroum! This has me grinning all the way through!

We had this in one of our first listening-evenings.... Well... it is a hommage to an instrument.... and the title of this tune states this perfect... now... guess or search :w

Track 12: This should be Jaco or at least one of his tunes - wasn't there some Jaco tribute involving several bassists? Sounds like this! Cobham-like runs over the toms! Or is this from one of the Havana Jam albums? Alphonso Johnson rather than Jaco?

Oh-oh! ... step by step.... not a Jaco tune.... Not a tribute... I know, what you mean, but not this one. Cobham-likes.... Cobham or not.... make a decision .... not Havana Jam .... and now... Alphonso or Jaco ??

Track 13: The late King Albert, unmistakeably. One his original tunes. Some of the drum licks sound a lot like Elvin, but some and the sound so not. A wild guess would be his record with Jaco and Alphonze Mouzon - I have to admit I never heard much of it.

Somewhat difficult to tell, well it is AM indeed, but not the late one.... and your wild guesses are not that bad.

Track 14: I love bass clarinet so much, I like this although I find the music a little lightweight. That treble register bass sound I know from somewhere ..... Two basses here, a big fiddle and a bass guitar. Not bad! Interestingly done. I like this much better than I thought I would!

Ohhhh, i like BFT :g Well, the original tune is a pop-music-classic, maybe that causes the lightweight-factor. Well.... i think you have heard this bass-player live ( maybe an error, but i think you have seen him... ).

Track 15: Hahaha!!! :lol: Wild! The electric bass comunion! I really dig this kind of stuff! No idea who it is, though.

I think, you know, why this tune is in here, we talked about the special theme some weeks ago

Track 16: Verrrrry nice closer! Not Weberhard? I love those harmonics and all! Very tongue-in-cheek!

Not weberhard !

Great job, Buddy!!!! :tup:tup:tup

:blush: Thanks!

Now it's time for a short sleep... tomorrow we will be on the road.... :D

Edited by Mr. Bassman

2 when the intro stops

... what happens after that ? Can you add some words ?

I was expecting when intro ends and the band would start, but unfortunately the whole track was just intro <_<

7 some ECM stuff (let me guess - Eberhard Weber on bass?)

Ahhhh ! :):tup I can assure you, it is EW! Do you know the recording or was it the impression during the listening-session ? And it is an ECM-work. Now, the album is still unmentioned. Need some homework ??? ;)

I don't know the recording, but thick bass sound seemed familiar to me

Andrew

We had this in one of our first listening-evenings.... Well... it is a hommage to an instrument.... and the title of this tune states this perfect... now... guess or search :w

So it's got to be the "Old Resin Bass Fiddle Four" doing "No Dogs Allowed" :g .........

Edited by mikeweil

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the response

I was expecting when intro ends and the band would start, but unfortunately the whole track was just intro <_<

Okay, now i understand. This song was composed for a quintett and there is a CD with that Version. This one in the BFT is the solo-adaption of this song. It is very interesting, that some people feel, in this solo-performance is something missing. One can "hear" that this tune is not "complete". Okay, it is a modern jazz-tune... maybe the original recording of the quintett is not that fun at all..... but in this solo-performance, you can "hear" the missing parts and musicians.

I don't know the recording, but thick bass sound seemed familiar to me

Yes, it is really a sort of unique sound. If someone listened to this sound for a first time and is introduced to him, he will (mostly) recognize the bass-player on other CDs, too.

with regards

Mr. Bassman

2 - john Patitucci?

I am sorry, no. There is no Patitucci in this BFT.... but he was on the "out"-list .... maybe he will join in 2008 :rolleyes:

The bass-player of #2 is a member of the modern jazz community and has published a bunch of recordings... maybe this special CD is not that well-known or a rare one. In comparison to Patitucci... he is not that involved in the electric-bass, maybe this is a little help ? Another one... he plays sometimes another stringed instrument.