Intregrated Amp, Speaker Recommendations

Peter

I do have volume controls for all pairs. Can recommend a good speaker selector box?

Well now I'm really stumped! :D

Peter, most volume controls are variable resistors. If these installers put pots (potentiometers) in series with every pair of speakers, they help increase the total impedance, but they also add noise. So, they did something right, but the resulting audio could be compromised. However, there is probably just as much noise added by a speaker selector box as most of them rely on resistive loading.

As I said, it's been years since I've looked into a speaker selector box, but in researching the Outlaw Audio RR-2150, it has the ability to drive two pairs right out of the box and if you add another amp with a Y-adaptor on the pre-out jacks, you could add the others with no resistive loading. In your situation, that's what I'd do, but truth be told, I'm a bit anal about this stuff. I like the cleanest solution.

FWIW, my current receiver is a Rotel 1055. If this were to croak tomorrow, I think I'd be buying an Outlaw Audio 1070 receiver. I like the company and their products seem to sound good and perform reliably. And this is even considering that I get Denon gear at a steep discount.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

I've been told that my Rotel amp is too bright, that my speakers lack bass, that my cd player is so-so, and that my interconnects and speaker cable are overpriced, but DAMN my system sounds good to me and all who have been over to hear it... not saying anyone doesn't know what they are talking about, but this sort of thing largely comes down to 1) what you like and 2) what you are used to. I'm not even trying to say that their are or aren't "right" and "wrong" in this area (I think we can all agree on certain "wrongs," for instance), just that these things are really complex and unfortunately you ultimately just have to hook everything up and see if you like the sound or not. I guess this is a fairly trivial and useless statement that belongs in the "drunk" thread if anywhere, but I've spent the energy typing it out so I guess I won't delete it now.

Totally agree, it all comes down to personal taste/bias. I always assume this is understood when discussing these sorts of things, but maybe it's not.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if you bought anything yet?

My wife is coming with me to the stero shop tomorrow to check out the Paradigm Monitor 7s. She wants little bookself speakers that she could hide in the living room & is concerned about the size of these. She suggests I liquor her up first.

Just wondering if you bought anything yet?

My wife is coming with me to the stero shop tomorrow to check out the Paradigm Monitor 7s. She wants little bookself speakers that she could hide in the living room & is concerned about the size of these. She suggests I liquor her up first.

just be aware that some (most) speakers need a bit of space around them; don't suffocate them!

Of course, don't mention this until you've got them home!

Wife inspected the Paradigm Monitor 7s today and deemed them "too large". We settled on the Paradigm Studio 20s. Of course the shop didn't have her preferred color so they are on order. The plan is to put them on the floor on some "hockey pucks" to isolate them from the floor. Sub-optimal, but a marital compromise.

• 6 months later...