England's Dreaming

'The Lark Ascending' programme was a bit frothy...cameras trained on Diana Rigg being spiritually transported by music good TV does not make.

Really enjoyed 'The Passions of Vaughan Williams' - nothing new but still brought to the fore some pieces I'd not paid much attention to - 'Dona Nobis Pacem' and the 'Three Shakespeare Songs'.

b01b66rs.jpg?nodefault=true

Ken Russell's famous 'Song of Summer' about Delius has snuck into the BBC4 schedules, out of sight - Tuesday 24th at 11.00 pm.:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01b66rs

Not sure I've ever seen this.

A new film has also been commissioned by BBC4:

http://www.c21media.net/archives/74960

The current Gramophone has Delius as its cover celebrity with an extensive feature inside playing up his international stature.

There's also a rebroadcast of a film about Britten and children (Friday 7.30):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074rwp

More unsettling, I suspect.

And, in a different genre, a three parter called 'How the Brits Rocked America' - the various British Invasions that made up for Yorktown:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01b4x9g

God Save BBC4 (can we send the money earmarked for a new royal yacht there, please?) - stored on the recorder these should keep me going for a few weeks.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to watching that Ken Russell 'Elgar' programme on I-Player. Timely - as I was staying right next door to Malvern Abbey on Thurs and had frequent audio interuptions with the bell ringers practicing. One of the few churchyards in the country where there are still working gaslights in oiperation - very atmospheric.

That hotel also had Donald Byrd 'Kofi' blasting through the speakers in the bar. Really not what you would expect in Malvern. :lol:

I've wanted to see that 'Delius' for years and it is good that they are now showing it again. Intriguing that he was born in Bradford as part of the Victorian 'expat' local German community - although pretty well disowned any connection with it from what I can gather.

Edited by sidewinder

I've wanted to see that 'Delius' for years and it is good that they are now showing it again. Intriguing that he was born in Bradford as part of the Victorian 'expat' local German community - although pretty well disowned any connection with it from what I can gather.

Despite being pigeon-holed as an 'English' composer Delius' interests were much more continental. Initially Scandinavia, Germany, then France. He always sounds English to me but he always seems the closest to Debussy. There's that same sense of music in constant flux, themes appearing and then never (on the surface) reappearing. You don't get the musical structure showing through - with RVW or Elgar in their major pieces you are very aware of things like sonata form showing through; with Delius that's disguised.

His mature music always seems somewhat otherworldly.

On another tack, there's a snippet in the new BBC Music Magazine about a recent 'favourite classical works' survey done in Australia. Elgar Cello Concerto at 1, The Planets at 2 and The Lark Ascending at 4.

Seems like there's still a bit of nostalgia for the land of the forefathers (well forefathers of some!).

I have to say that that Ken Russell Delius film last night was outstanding - they just don't make them like that any more, to quote a phrase. Glad I recorded it (next to be broadcast sometime after 2050, no doubt..)

There's no doubt that Ken Russell's very best work was on these BBC musical drama-docs. Black and white photography worked in its favour too. Outstanding !

I see there was a cameo by Russell as the groping priest in the church too. Turned out that was based on fact !

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah - It's one of the best things I've ever seen on the BBC, without a doubt. That lead performance from Max Adrian was something else.

Apparently Eric Fenby was involved in the making of this and when he saw the end product he had something of a nervous breakdown as it was so realistic.

Imagine having to transcribe those scores at lightning speed with Delius singing off-key and also having to take into account German conventions on 'quarter note' definitions etc - all the while getting a constant b*llocking for transcribing it wrong. :crazy:

Edited by sidewinder

I've wanted to see that 'Delius' for years and it is good that they are now showing it again.

It was issued on DVD a few years ago so you needn't have waited so long! It is also on youtube as are the other Russell bio-pics.

Yes, noticed that. Seems to be OOP at the likes of Amazon though and at £50 a shot from the Marketplace, no thanks. It would have been nice to get to hear the BBC commentary though.

It seems that the 'Elgar' is available on I-Player but couldn't find the 'Delius'. Wonder why (rights issue?)

Edited by sidewinder

Moving swiftly on... :rolleyes:

The 'Britten' film should be interesting tonight. Followed on by that Beatles Stateside documentary and 'How The Brits Rocked America', should be a good night of viewing on BBC4.

That's not on youtube. I don't even know the date. I suppose BB was alive when he made it so it is maybe not uh candid...?

Tomorrow is the start of the Jonathan Harvey Total Immersion weekend at the Barbican. The Madonna of Winter and Spring is an old friend of mine so I am hoping to get along to see that done. I thought it started tonight with a concert by the Arditti's but it seems I was mistaken, so at least I am not missing that. Sunday's Wagner Dream might be a bridge too far but never say never.

Edited by David Ayers

• 3 months later...

A new film has also been commissioned by BBC4:

http://www.c21media.net/archives/74960

Due Friday 25th May, I believe.

Called "Delius: Composer, Lover, Enigma'

Seems portraying English cowpat composers as randy buggers is the current way of getting them noticed. I think I'd have gone for 'Delius: a nice sort of chap.'

51kHw88H8gL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51QH6KHLgiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A couple of doorstep retrospectives for the 150th anniversary.

I rarely go in for these things but the EMI has some of the operas which I'd like to hear. At £30.99 for 18 discs, a bit of a bargain even with a fair bit of overlap.

The EMI box contents:

http://www.emiclassics.com/releasetracklisting.php?rid=52018

And on a different tack. The excellent NMC label that focuses on contemporary British classical music has a new series devoted to emerging composers

arrangement%20resize.JPG

http://www.nmcrec.co.uk/debut-discs

Meanwhile, established British composers are not happy:

http://www.holstfoundation.org/media/Open-Letter-SAM-ACE.pdf

Sounds like the sort of concerns the British jazz world has had for eons.

A veritable feast of Englishry on BBC4 on Friday.

After the 90 min Delius programme there's a documentary on Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' followed by one made up of various filmed clips of Floyd performances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/programmes/schedules/2012/05/25

Somehow, in my world, Delius, Pink Floyd and Fairport Convention are all in and around the same space.

Really enjoyed the Delius programme - though I was rather taken aback that I'm supposed to find the music erotic! Surprised the record companies havn't caught on to that - instead of languid, post-impressionist gardens they could have rumpy-pumpy on the sleeves.

Worth catching on the replayer.

The 'Wish You Were Here' one was good too. I'm always amazed by how posh Dave Gilmour sounds.

Haven't watch the PF clips yet.

I never knew about the bizarre night time burial a year after his death.

Surprised this year hasn't seen a new biography. I've pieced together my Delius knowledge from the Fenby memoirs and a book of essays. There are one or two short bios but I would have thought someone might have done a more in depth one - the life is distinct and colourful enough for it.

Same here !

I was checking out the location of his birthplace (Claremont, Horton) and it looks to be pretty close to the University, hence the reason for the 'pub next door'. That whole area must have been very up-market back in the Victorian times, with solid villa houses. Lots of German presence at that time in Bradford too, with 'Little Germany' existing to this day. The warehouses that they built were built to last (true to form).

Edited by sidewinder

Same here !

I was checking out the location of his birthplace (Claremont, Horton) and it looks to be pretty close to the University, hence the reason for the 'pub next door'. That whole area must have been very up-market back in the Victorian times, with solid villa houses. Lots of German presence at that time in Bradford too, with 'Little Germany' existing to this day. The warehouses that they built were built to last (true to form).

I must visit Bradford at some point. It's not far away.